Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Key rings on clevis pins
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As a new owner of a getaway and new to cats altogether, I have countless burning questions. Here are a few, for starters:

1) Is there nothing better than key rings for the clevis pins? I understand the advantage of not have sharp edges to catch on things or scratch you, but they are just such a pain, I have grown to really dislike them. Especially if I try to take slack out of the stays when the boat is already on the water, I'm afraid of fumbling them. And they aren't fun when it comes to pinning the mast, either. I would happily invest is some other type of fastener which would be quicker/easier.

2) Recommendations for an anchor?

3) How much play should there be in the hiking stick attachment to the crossbar? It seems like the play I have might be excessive. I know it needs to swivel, but it feels pretty loose.

4) do the rudder pin bushings sit on the bottom? They have fallen out and I'm not sure which way the should be inserted.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, long time Cat sailor. You can use a fast pin in some locations in place of the clevis pin, however they do stick out from the fitting. I would not put them on the stays.

I take the slack out of the rig when stepping the mast. My process is to have a side stay loosened when stepping, I use a fast pin on the front stay@furler which makes stepping much easier. Then I come over to the loose side stay and take up the slack.

Sorry I don't use an anchor.

If there is too much play at the hiking stick/crossbar, perhaps you can tighten the bolt? Or maybe you have a wrong size clevis pin?

The Getaway does not use rubber bushings on the ruder pins (at least mine doesn't). The rudder housing is pretty tight around the pintle.

Welcome to Cat sailing! Happy to answer other questions. Holland.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Clevis pins and rings can be a pain but with practice they become second nature. The only pin I have to undo and refix regularly is the one between the main block and the traveller. It's rare that I take the mast down. Also for added security I wrap insulating tape around all other pins and rings.
Anchor... I use a simple 4 claw folding anchor. Fine for lunch stops but wouldn't sleep on it!
I don't understand the rubber bushing concern

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:44 am 
Site Admin

Ring FAQ https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=45768

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Interesting thoughts.

I have to trailer the boat each time which is why I'm looking for some improvements in the ease of the process. I like the idea of using fast pins for side stays initially and then key rings after everything else is ready and I'm taking out slack/raking back.

I bought a claw anchor and put it on the boat but in the last couple of outings I never used it because we were on the beach when not sailing.

I tightened the hiking stick attachment and played with it just like you would a wheel nut, going until it's draggy and then backing it up a hair. It feels much better now, so I think it was too loose previously.

Regarding the bushings on the rudder pins, it sounds like I might need to take a picture or two. Or if anyone has a picture that would be great.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use quick pins on my bridle to furler attachment. I leave the side stays attached with clevis pins and ring dings.
I have girl's hair elastic bands, the heavy wrapped ones, girthed through the loop on the quick pin, then wrapped around the back, to hold it in place should the little ball fail to engage. I guess I could tie it on to be more secure.

I realize quick pins for the main stays are a controversial decision. It would probably be safer to use clevises on the front, then quick pins on the side, so it the pin failed, the mast would fall forward, not backward.

Too many canoes and kayaks