Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Hobie owners,

I just bought a Hobie Getaway last week. It is used, but seems to be in good shape. It is a 2009 model.

My previous boat was an Escape PlayCat catamaran (also rotomolded). Its mast was two-piece aluminum, and the pieces separated easily for transport. So when I bought the Getaway I was sure that I needed to separate the mast to transport. But despite all the jiggling and pulling, the two pieces only separated by about 3/4" and then would not move at all any more.

I read now in this forum that the two pieces have probably been epoxied together at the dealer (I have the CompTip top and aluminum bottom pieces), so I should not have tried to separate them.

What should I do now? I could try to bang the two pieces back together so they are snug and leave things alone, or I could try to put more pressure and break the epoxy bond, clean it up, and re-epoxy things together (more work, obviously...)

What is the opinion of the forum, which way should I go?

Thank you, and I would appreciate any and all advice.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Personally, I would carefully separate the sections and re-bondo them. Comp tips are expensive and hard to come by, I wouldn't put it at risk.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok, I am happy to try to separate the two halves, but I want to make sure I don't damage anything in the process. From what I read the technique is to put a couple of hitch knots with some solid rope to each end of the mast, attach one end to a tree or something solid, and pull the other end with strong but gentle pressure. (Perhaps even with something like a car?)

Is this right? Or does anyone else have another technique? I am worried about bending the luff track, something I heard some people did.

A.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would only attach one end to a car only if that was used only as an anchor. You want to pull it apart slowly and with control. Gently heating the aluminum evenly will soften the epoxy or Bondo allowing it to separate easier. I pulled one apart anchoring the aluminum part of the mast and tying off the comp tip between a fixed point and using a block and tackle to pull on it. I used a propane torch with a wide nozzle and kept it moving so I didn't get any hot spots. It took a while, but then all of a sudden started to break free and then just came apart easy. Clean, sand lightly wipe clean with acetone, let dry and glue it back together. I don't know why bondo, but that's what's recommended to glue it together.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Welcome to the club Andrie!

I was in the same boat (pun intended) this last summer. My comptip had worked its way loose after a few years of trailering and I decided I wanted to re-epoxy it. I followed a similar process to what Chuck did, but I did use my truck and a tree. I anchored the aluminum end to a tree using a 4x4 recovery strap and MULTIPLE wraps around the mast to help spread the load. I attached the comptip end to my truck with another strap again wrapping it around as many times as possible to spread the load. I then used a bottle torch to evenly heat the aluminum and the pieces came apart VERY easily. I slowly let off the brakes, letting the truck idle forward and it came apart right away. I don't think I was even fully off the brakes and the two sections silently glided apart, no creaking, crackling or straining.

I was very nervous initially, but having gone through the process now I wouldn't hesitate to again if needed. Also I know some folks recommend bondo, but I went with the Hobie specified epoxy from westcoastsailing. Just be aware that the epoxy has a shelf life so check the expiration date before you open it. Spread the epoxy on both the comptip and inside the aluminum section and push the two halves together. It helps to have another person help, but to get the air out and both sections fully joined we just rammed the mast (base first) against a tree a few times and that did the trick.

Hope this helps!