Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a question about my year 2000 Getaway luff tension. The previous owner had the jib setup wrong and I'm trying to get it correct. He had the top of the jib connected to the loop at the top with a connector and the bottom connected with a line.

I attached a line at the top of the jib but the jib was too loose. In order to get it the correct tension on the jib without needing to drop the mast again, I have the jib connected to the 4th hole down from the top hole at the bottom of the luff.

A few questions....

1. Should I adjust this setup and move the jib to the top hole at the bottom of the luff.

2. If I do move the placement of the lower portion of the jib to the top hole and adjust the tension of the line at the top of the jib, how do I get the correct tension using the line at the top of the luff without needing to drop mast multiple times.

3. How do I know how tight to set it using the line at the top of the luff.

Thanks, Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You do have a furling jib, right? What type of halyard set up do you have and are you using a bow shackle to attach the jib head to the halyard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

We tension the luff with the wire pulled tight on the ground (off the boat). You could flip the boat on its side to do that. Position of the tack at the furler will vary by how much mast rake you carry. If raked aft, you would have to raise the tack on the adjuster. Different positions changes the sheet angles / space to the cleats.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Crazy wind storm this December wreaked havoc on the marina boats including my Getaway Jib. Snorkel torn, enough wind caught the Jib and she tore... Better the Jib tear than take out the whole boat. I received the new Jib, and will install similar to the factory, but will use dyneema at top and bottom to secure the Jib and adjust luff tension over time. Does anyone see an issue with this setup?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I too have a line on the bottom of the luff, it works a treat.
I can adjust the tension for light and heavy airs. Also it allows me to set the jib higher up the forestay where the slot is more in line with the mainsail and the sheeting angle on the jib seems to be more efficient, by reducing leach flutter.