Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's your top speed ?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Today, my GPS showed 17 knots. This is my fastest speed so far, and I think I can probably go faster.
What is your top speed on the Getaway ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Can't remember the exact speed on the GPS but last summer we hit 16.something.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Crobiecat
What are you running in that thing? I hit 13knt with wings and no trap. You have a definite need for speed! Jeremy has got to hook you up.
No worries
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

pejnielsen wrote:
Crobiecat
What are you running in that thing? I hit 13knt with wings and no trap. You have a definite need for speed! Jeremy has got to hook you up.
No worries
Paul

I removed the wings long time ago... but anyway, it was typical Santa Cruz wind. Just drop by one weekend, and we will see if we can go faster. My wife and I were too light, and we were on a beam reach, and had hard time keeping the boat down, both of us on the back of the boat, not trapezing that time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yep, everyone loves the heavy guy when the wind picks up! This month is going to kill me, but with luck the wind will last till September and I would love to meet up and do my best ballast act.
No worries
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A couple of weeks ago I took the getaway out in 20-25kts (seemed to be gusting quite a bit more) with a combined weight of around 260kg (three blokes). One of the crew had a garmin GPS wrist watch and we hit 22.6kts. This was on a broad reach and shortly after we rapidly decelerated to 0 as we just about pitch poled. Minimal control but bloody great fun!
This was with wings and no trapese.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Topped out yesterday at 21mph. Wide reach sailing solo. I have wings and trapeze but was not using the trap. Wave action helped too. 12 mile trip in Fishers island sound, SE Connecticut. This was the return trip that I hit the 21mph. Took 2 hrs to sail west in a SSW wind of about 15mph. Same wind heading East for the return trip. Also, saw a nuclear submarine heading out to sea from the Thames river in Groton, CT (sub capital of the world). Pretty impressive and cool to see in action. It was guarded by a couple of Navy patrols which alerted me to their presence with a siren as I was on a collision course with the sub. Didn't see it on the leeward side behind the sail. Had to change course and let it pass.

https://goo.gl/photos/fhYAD9fV1cycqSZW8

Last edited by KeithB on Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow 21mph? I've had my Getaway for 4 years now and I've always felt that 16mph was the "terminal velocity" since the wings start to bury. But I've only had skipper and 1crew on board. I'll have to give it a whirl with three on board. Honestly can't imagine 21mph since even 13 in flat conditions feels rather nuts. Awesome info!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I thought the same about the terminal velocity. Had my getaway for 7 years and would always top out at 16-17mph year after year. I had everything in my favor for this one. Wind direction and speed, wave direction/height, only myself on board so as light as could be and even the tide was flowing in my favor (same direction I was headed). I probably only hit the max speed for a brief moment as you can see, I only averaged 9mph. Didn't even use the trampoline and the ride was mostly flat so no burying the forward wing leg.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Haha yep you nailed it. Hitting top speed for me at 16mph has always taken alot of effort that ends with a few brief moments of euphoria then a large splash! :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Guys, what's an mph? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've sailed in a lot of different conditions and with different crew and I don't think I've ever measured anything above 17. I can hit that pretty consistently. Perhaps I could do better solo, but I rarely sail solo because I don't weigh enough to right the boat on my own. I have sailed with crew trapped out (far out because I have wings) and with me on the wing seat and still enough wind to need to let some spill to keep from going over. Even in those conditions, 17 was about all I could get.

If anyone has some tips for coaxing more speed out of the getaway, I'd love to hear them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

MITBeta wrote:
Guys, what's an mph? :lol:

I suppose you mean as opposed to knots. The phone app I was using doesn't have knots as an option. 21mph = 18.2 knots

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You have to consider that the first minute or so of a GPS track is probably not accurate (which is why I edit the numbers prior to posting movies). The GPS isn't fully tracking when first turned on. In big waves it can also get fooled. Personally, I've seen 15.5 as my top end but I don't reach on my typical daysail...upwind and downwind. But I do get big wind, typically 15-25 kts in the summer months (gusts to 30 occasionally).

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dksailor wrote:
I've sailed in a lot of different conditions and with different crew and I don't think I've ever measured anything above 17. I can hit that pretty consistently. Perhaps I could do better solo, but I rarely sail solo because I don't weigh enough to right the boat on my own. I have sailed with crew trapped out (far out because I have wings) and with me on the wing seat and still enough wind to need to let some spill to keep from going over.

Something I found when I sailed my Hobie 17s, is that power doesn't always equal speed. I used to trap off the wings and sheet in tightly so that I could fly a hull while trapped out; great fun! But I sailed fastest when the boat was pretty flat. Battens relaxed, downhaul and outhaul stiffened up, leach line loose, mast rotator pulled tight, and the sail angle kind of loose so the tell tales on both sides flattened against the sail. The windward hull would be light in the water, but little chance of flying it. That's when the 17 would just rip through the water.

The Getaway doesn't have the sail tuning the 17 does, but for speed on windy days I pull the downhaul tight, loosen the battens (to flatten the sail) and put the main block in the forward hole. I sheet in tight and control sail angle with the traveler. I keep the jib slot open so the mainsail gets the cleanest wind over it; I need to add jib travelers one of these days - I think that's probably the weak point of the Getaway design. I think more mast rake makes it faster too, on windy days, but I don't bother with that. I did on the 17, but going fast was more important to me 20 years ago!

Too many canoes and kayaks