Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: boat with broken rudder
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Looking at a boat for sale tomorrow (100 miles away) that has a broken rudder and one or both of the metal parts attached to it (those 3 parts add up to a bit over $500, plus my time buying them and installing them, and maybe some bushing and bolts are damaged).
I think I need to check whether the hull ($1000?) is damaged, and the condition of the metal attachment mechanism is in the hull. Any other suggestions on what to look for?
It's a 2002. I'm unsure when Hobie improved the hulls (some had issues at the back end).
Also, a 2002 would have the "older" style rudder mechanism I believe. Not sure of the difference - maybe I should replace both sides if the new version is better. I'm hoping that both cast parts (~200 each) are not damaged.
It's a 2 day estate sale (guy is moving and is selling everything, not deceased).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wife didn't want to buy it - too many issues. Boat had dents and deep gouges in the hulls from vandals, and even a bulet hole through one hull! Could have got it for $1000 with very nice beach wheels, almost rust-free trailer with sailbox, and wings (with one small rip on outter edge).
Both rudders and tillers; etc - everything for steering was missing due to vandals - I think $1500 in parts. Holes in hull were reparied but one repair was peeling off (Hobe dealers sell something to repair the hulls is supposidly where the seller got it from).
Perhaps should have bought it but not told the wifey the exact conditon - lesson learned for all! Could have towed it to the dealer and paid him to fix it - since it only cost $1000, that left a lot of money for repairs. Oh well.