Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone Flying a Hull?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've tried to but the best I can do is to pop the hull out of the water for a couple seconds.

If I sit on the wing, the leeward hull gets pushed into the water so hard that the wing mounts dig into the water and really slows the boat down. That kind of defeats the whole purpose of lifting the hull to reduce drag and get more speed.

If I sit on the hull, there is less leverage/weight and the hull comes up easier. But the problem is that the wing that I'm up against with my back prevents me from leaning outwards. So I have nothing to prevent me from falling towards the center of the boat. I can't get my butt over the edge of the hull.

I'm guessing I'll have to remove the wings so I can sit on the edge and lean out if I want to lift a hull for max speed.

Anyone regularly flying a hull on the getaway have any tips?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just purchased a new Getaway, and am more familiar with 16's. Just the same this past weekend I was fortunate enough to sail in 12-15 mi/hr winds - on an inland lake. Anyway, I was able to fly the hull, but only for short periods - 10 seconds max. Not like the 16, but my wife and family greatly appreciate the more sedate ride.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Flying a hull is very easy. When I had my Getaway, I used to be able to fly a hull for a very long time.
On a beam reach, pull on the main sheet as much as you can, and 10 knots of wind will take you in the air!
The boat will slow down though, as I think the getaway performs better relatively flat.
However, I removed the wings after the first couple of rides, as I found the boat way more fun without the wings.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've never removed my wings but don't really have a problem flying a hull with them....they do dig in if you fly a little too high though. I agree it seems the getaway is fastest nearly flat with one hull barely touching the water.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hwy929 wrote:
I've tried to but the best I can do is to pop the hull out of the water for a couple seconds.

If I sit on the wing, the leeward hull gets pushed into the water so hard that the wing mounts dig into the water and really slows the boat down. That kind of defeats the whole purpose of lifting the hull to reduce drag and get more speed.

If I sit on the hull, there is less leverage/weight and the hull comes up easier. But the problem is that the wing that I'm up against with my back prevents me from leaning outwards. So I have nothing to prevent me from falling towards the center of the boat. I can't get my butt over the edge of the hull.

I'm guessing I'll have to remove the wings so I can sit on the edge and lean out if I want to lift a hull for max speed.

Anyone regularly flying a hull on the getaway have any tips?

Yep, do it all the time with and without wings (though without wings is more fun in my opinion)

First off, if you want to fly a hull to get more speed you should just get it off the water and keep it there (more on how to do that below). Seems that you are flying it to high if you get the other wing on the water. You can also lift it a lot more for added fun though you will be going slower (with the wings on the boat will slow a lot when the other one hits the water of course).

If you are sitting on the hull, the way to not fall off is to use the hiking strap, that is you can put your feet over the strap instead of under it, and then you'll be able to fly very high while being practically standing on the strap. Actually even if I don't have the wings on I put one foot under and one foot over the strap so I can do the same.

Now, how to control how high the hull flies? Pure mainsheet control! You just gotta never cleat the mainsheet, you pull it in and out so as to maintain the height you want. If the hull starts falling you pull in, if it starts flying too high you sheet out..... you gotta anticipate a little bit though because the boat can be slow to respond... it just takes a little bit of practice. It is better if one person is doing the tiller and the other one the mainsheet so it is less work (sheeting in and out with one hand can be tiring). Also watch out the mainsheet and don't let it go in the water. If so it'll pull back and it can be very difficult to release it, potentially leading to a capsize (though that is fun also; I did it this weekend).

Guillermo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the replies.

Sounds like I really need to take the boat out without the wings sometime.

They are fantastic when taking the family out, but seem to get in the way when going fast.