Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Comptip Crack
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I found a crack in the top of my comptip. It is at the rivet that holds the masthead on. It extends vertically above and below this rivet. Is this most likely cosmetic in the fairing compound or structural? I'll post pictures tomorrow. If it;s structural is this something that can be repaired or does the comptip need to be replaced?

Comptip crack looks similar to this however it is not as large.

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n401 ... 0_2132.jpg

Post subject: Re: Comptip Crack
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

crack on our boat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Did the mast ever fall down maybe sometime when you were raising the mast? Looks like a stress fracture as it runs down through the rivet hole. Has the cat been sitting mast up in the water for a while? With the wt. of the bob at the top if the mast is slopping back and forth it eventually might look like that, maybe?? I looked at mine and its fine, and believe me mine has had lots of hard knocks. I don't think a straight down pull would cause that, it would have to be some kind of lateral pressure. Just my humble opinion of course.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

we blew out a shroud one day but the mast never hit the water. Boat's kept on a trailer...never with the mast up...I've never droped the mast either....I'm thinking of filling the crack with epoxy/microballoons, adding some fiberglass to the inside of the tube, then the outside and reattaching the masthead. The boat did get used excessively for 2 years.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If it was me I would drill out the 2 rivets and remove the, top that way you can get the proper glue in from both sides of the crack. Also you should drill a very small (1/8) hole at the very bottom of the crack, this will prevent the crack from spreading any further down the mast.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

this was pretty much my plan except i didnt think of drilling the hole at the end of the crack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Its old trick I learned fixing airplane windows, they are lexan and a small hole right at the end of the crack will keep it from spreading, I think because it distributes the pressure over a larger area.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I went down to the boat today and twisted the mast float a little...the whole crack opens up so it's definitely not a surface scratch...and I definitely wouldn't feel safe taking the boat out as is. Is the above fix acceptable and structurally sound, or does the whole comptip need to be replaced?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's no good. I would use epoxy/glass and fix that sucker right up. I can't remember a rivet there stock. Was the tip ever repaired from previously damage?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

nope, never repaired or damaged...my dad took it out sailing before I found it, I have no idea how he didn't lose the mast head...if you grab the float, and twist the crack opens right up!

I just looked one day and when the heck did that crack get there?! and it's odd because i inspect the boat before and after every sail we trailer it so i typically inspect the whole mast.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bummer! Sorry for your troubles. In such a high load area, unless you're good with glass, I'd get a pro. If the repair is over a couple hundred bucks, look into getting a new comptip.

You should definitely establish contact with your dealer, and ask for their recommendation.