Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quick Pins
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am seriously thinking about purchasing a Getaway late spring or summer. Could you seasoned sailors tell me what type and size quick pins that you would recommend in order to expedite the setting up the Getaway?

Thank you!
Bob

Post subject: Re: Quick Pins
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

just the ones that come with it for wing set up.
i wouldn't bother with undoing shrouds so all you
put together is headstay to furler. the two pins on
furler don't want to be quick pins.. mainsheet hooks
to sail. cant think of any where else. leave most of rig
connected..i like the new mast stepper..doug

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

there are two locations where quick pins make most sense. first is where the tiller crossbar connects to the tiller extension. this is a standard clevis pin but a 1/4" dia by 1" quick pin allows for easier removal if you need to dismantle this component. second is where the main sheet block connects to the traveler. same dimension quick pin works well there too. one reason we like these two locations as quick pins is when we are scooting around the bay and want to leave the boat beached somewhere while we explore or go eat lunch, we can take these two pins with us and it makes stealing the boat considerably more difficult unless you just happen to take these parts with you. maybe a very prepared thief has one 1/4" x 1" pin, but two?

you might argue that the forestay connector plate and the furler can use a quick pin as well since this is another location where a clevis pin is regularly removed (when raising the mast, we actually do use the tiller extension quick pin here one hole lower than normal to quickly hold the mast in place and then install the clevis pin in the proper hole for final rigging), but i just wouldn't feel comfortable knowing that the integrity of my standing rigging was dependent on that little retractable ball bearing in the quick pin.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm not sure I'd go with quick-pins.

I'm a new Getaway owner (2001), we hope to take her out later today for our "first" sail with the boat. (Wanted to last weekend, but with winds well over 30+ on Sunday and gusts over 50 on Monday - didn't think that's a good idea...)

In preparation for today, I ventured over to the Kansas City Sailing Store in Lawrence yesterday. I picked up a quick-pin to test (more on this later) and their recommendation for those incredibly infuriating .25" ring-dings - LARGER ring-dings. Which works great, I might add.

In trying the quick-pin in the fore stay - we lost the pin out of the ball. (Me with mental pictures of ball going missing while under sail load...) So instead, we simply put the larger ring-ding on and that was really pretty easy. Plus these ring-dings were apparently designed to tread on pretty easy - no trying for 5 minutes to pry one apart with fingernails.