Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes,it depends what you want to do on the Getaway and my idea is camping/cruising.Storage is a big problem for people like me.Two things either done or in planning are-
1.Nets under the wing seats to store things like sunglasses,hat,raincoat,small water bottle etc-light items.I made the nets out of shadecloth- so you can see the item through the netting.One side was done and the boat used and it proved to be a good idea.
I am making 2 watertight boxes out of ply to sit on each hull just forward of the hatches-they go up to the folding forward arm for the wing seat and when the seats are folded inwards they just sit over the top of the box.These are in progress and if they prove to be a good idea I will photo both the wing seat nets and the boxes and put them here.One box as a cookbox and the other for dry food.Clothing and tent end bedding we plan to continue to put in a 60 litre barrell as these are light items.
Just at the moment we are in a bit of bother with these floods-our place goes down to the Mary River and all the bottom of our place is either covered in water or mud at present.The boat and all our gardening stuff is up on high
ground at the house with us so there is not much going on till it all dries out.

We have a herd of goats and before the floods hit we had lined up friends to come and get them-at least we haven't got goats in the house yard with us.They are hard to catch when they are excited and the floodwater is rising.
No big drama compared to some poor people who have had their houses flooded.(this is all taking place in Queensland,Australia)
These boxes will have hinged lids and should keep all the spray/rain out-I am currently sheathing them with fibreglass or they won't last.The wet weather plays up with using epoxy resin so I am way behind with finishing them.

This is a great website for discussing these ideas-thanks to the people who keep it running.
Regards
Peter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

remember nothing stays dry in the hulls. After doing the Texas 200 on my H18 and then my Frankenhobie in '09 I'm a big believer in drybags. However, if you can't stand them you could do Pelican cases or whatever backpack you want and slip them in a tough garbage bag or two. Organizing gear is a pain but makes life nice while camping--no rooting through 5 bags to get that one item.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How about just replacing the the one's in the hobie getaway with larger, deeper and longer one's, this is what I was thinking for my summer mod this year, it might be better to make the hole bigger then to cut a new set .

New Deck Hatch
http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/18437--access-hatches-slam-or-cam-latches-13-x-30-hatch-10-1-8-27-opening-white.html
New Hatch Liner
http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/23999--access-hatch-liners-12-deep-liner-fits-13-x-30.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have made up nets that sit under the wing seats for light items,bottles of water,jacket a bottle containing biscuits etc. Quite a bit of storage made available there. Made them out of shadecloth and they are held in place with shockcord-when the wings are in their folded out position you slip your hand in and pull out the item-the item is also visible through the shadecloth so you know what you are looking for.
Also made up 2 boxes which mount on top of the hulls in an out of the way place(between the hatch and the main crossbeam)-a lot of work as they have been sheathed with fibreglass and had to be made to fit.
I have been reluctant to cut into hulls-one of the reasons being that to retrieve stuff it's a hands and knees job to get it.

I don't have all the answers but am learning as I go-my aim is to use the Getaway to camp off-a tent on the beach or on the tramp-it's an ongoing thing and I will post photos as soon as these boxes are mounted-they won't look that nice being perched up there but they will be very handy for food and cooking gear etc.
I am interested in what you decide to do with hatches in the hulls-types of hatches,dimensions etc
Regards
Peter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have photos of the storage boxes and under wing seat storage nets to put up in this discussion but can't do it. I clicked on Img but could get no further.
Something to do with my age I suppose.
Can anyone help?
Thanks
Peter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

peterbrigg wrote:
I have photos of the storage boxes and under wing seat storage nets to put up in this discussion but can't do it. I clicked on Img but could get no further.
Something to do with my age I suppose.
Can anyone help?
Thanks
Peter

Can't help with the age bit I'm afraid... :D

With the images, 'ya gotta have them hosted somewhere in the web, right click them, click on properties, and cut & paste the .img file. Up in the message header there's a box most of the way to the right that says Img. Click it and paste the address you previously cut from your hosting site.

Here's my example of my frankenhobie!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

10 Files View Slideshow Download All
IMGP0128.jpg (82KB); IMGP0129.jpg (59KB); IMGP0130.jpg (40KB); IMGP0131.jpg (63KB); IMGP0132.jpg (63KB); IMGP0133.jpg (64KB); IMGP0134.jpg (98KB); IMGP0135.jpg (42KB); IMGP0136.jpg (83KB); IMGP0137.jpg (52KB)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here are the pics for Peter

Box storage plus under wing seat net storage shown.
Attachment front outer of box-stainless strap to wing seat support bolt
Rear of box-alum bracket slips under front of hatch
Box open-lid rests on wing seat.
If the wing seat folded in box sits under wing seat.
A pair of ear muffs being put in wing seat netting as an example of
something stored there
Front inner of box attachment.Ties to front(main ) beam with thin rope.
Another photo of under wing seat storage
Starboard box-bracket rear of box visible-wing seat net storage visible

Great work Peter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Question for mmiller: Would cutting a larger hole in the top of each hull where the factory storage cubbies are for these larger boxes in anyway weaken the hulls? Is there anything inside the hulls such as cross bracing that would make this more difficult to install than just removing the factory cubbies and cutting a larger hole in the top deck to install the larger box?

XxTrasHxX wrote:
How about just replacing the the one's in the hobie getaway with larger, deeper and longer one's, this is what I was thinking for my summer mod this year, it might be better to make the hole bigger then to cut a new set .

New Deck Hatch
http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/18437--access-hatches-slam-or-cam-latches-13-x-30-hatch-10-1-8-27-opening-white.html
New Hatch Liner
http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/23999--access-hatch-liners-12-deep-liner-fits-13-x-30.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

XxTrasHxX wrote:

[/url]

So, are you or did you do it? Post pics if you have.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I will be trying this this summer,my cat is in storage at the cottage north of Toronto. I will take pics when I start to work on her. Hay Peter did you do any more research on turning the wing seats in to long storage boxes like we discussed .

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

No-I now have enough storage with the nets under the wing seats and the 2 boxes that I put photos of on this site. I also have a 60 litre black plastic drum which I put on the front tramp(tied down) for sleeping bag,tent etc.
I am fine tuning all the camping gear otherwise I will be taking the kitchen sink as well-I compare myself to a backpacker and realise I am well off for gear and carrying capacity by comparison.
One of the problems is that everything gets jumbled up. I found this with dry bags-the thing you want is always at the bottom of the bag under something else. Dry bags-on the face of it appear to be a solution to the storage issue however when you try this option it's not so. OK if you are going out for a day sail and there is only your lunch and sunglasses to store but it doesn't work for overnight or longer trips.
So in these boxes I have put holders for eg cups and cutlery and bottles in racks so that everything can be clearly seen when you open up the box. Even in small spaces it is very frustrating to not be able to find something when you know it is somewhere.
Looking forward to other ideas on this topic.
Regards
Peter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Did anyone here ever install new bigger hatches?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I love the nets under the wing seats, but I don't understand how they are attached. Can you give a description or more photos? I would love to add this to my boat!