Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maiden Voyage Today
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We are new owners of a Hobie Getaway and got the boat on the water for the very first time today. Clinton Lake outside Lawrence KS, about 9500 acres of decent water. Wind was out of the S/SW at 10-20 and temps got into the mid to upper 80s.

The day was absolutely perfect for sailing - just enough wind that we'd move pretty good and not enough wind that our unfamiliarity with the boat would have us doing righting exercises all afternoon. It also seems a lot of other sailors had the same idea as the lake had a bunch of sailboats on it from small what looked like Snarks all the way up to some decent day-sailers/keelboats. Also a couple of other Hobies plus I believe it was a Pringle boat.

My prior Hobie experience was a Wave at a resort for 3 sails - this boat is far bigger, I'd say a LOT faster, and just a whole bunch of fun. I got the hang of tacking this boat pretty quick and while we wouldn't win any races getting around, we didn't manage to stall her out either. Plus we launched on the South side of the lake with the window almost directly at our backs inside a break water and I feel pretty good about putting the boat right back on the beach (er...mud) where we launched.

All in all, a great day. Unfortunately I'm not sure our schedule will allow too many more before the weather gets cold. (And while I'm enjoying this sailing now, not sure we're the cold suit types...)

I would also like to add a big THANK YOU to all the wonderful posters here. I felt reasonably prepared for what the boat would do on the water and I avoided at least a few pitfalls along the way due to all the great info here! (And yes, I went through nearly all 12 pages, post by post...)