Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just purchased a Getaway and need a good boat box. In the past I have constructed out of marine plywood a "coffin" style box that worked very well. The "toy" boxes offered by Hobie have limited access (front hatch or top hatch) for cleaning and adding extras (pfd's and the like). Does anyone have any ideas or is it back to the wood shop?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use a large rubbermaid "action packer" box to store life vests, harnesses, spare parts etc along with a sail tube made from a PVC pipe.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This spring I purchased a Hobie Toy Box and have been very pleased with it despite it's price. I placed the open end at the sten end with the top hatch at the bow of the boat.

Putting the hiking stick, rudders, and sails in the box sure beats trying to strap everything to the boat and heading on down the highway or stuffing the car which I did my first season out.

Access with the box is plenty enough to get anything in and out. You may have to pop the hatch and push from the other end but you wont get stuck with "stuff in the middle" if you put your standard gear in the box.

Drainage is a problem but I fixed that by drilling a row of holes on laterally on both ends of the box. My trailer sits bow high so almost all of any trapped water makes it to the holes near the open end.

Also, with the Toy Box, Hobie left mounting options pretty open for all kinds of different trailers.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am thinking of getting something like this to go under the boat mounted to the trailer.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... ockType=G2

It should work since its only 16" high. Its alot cheaper than the hobie toy box also, should hold more too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you are still looking for a cat box, check your local Lowes. They sell aluminum pickup truck boxes. They offer several styles/sizes and configurations. Welded construction, lockable, dual latches. Strong enough to stand on. Mine holds all my towing and sailing gear including trailer jack, hitch lock, paddles, 6 life jackets, 12v car battery for electric winch, the remote control and cable for the winch and my sailing gear bag with room to spare.

Barry Martin