Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We had a pretty nasty pitch pole incident last year where I flew into a side stay cable and still bear a nice bruise across my thigh 8 months later.

I have seen the issue discussed for other Hobies but not sure if there is a device for the Getaway. Does anyone know if they are available, or if they work?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The anti-pitch pole device available in the Hobie catalog is made for the H16. I do not think there is one available for the getaway. They probably don't make one because it's not nearly as much an issue for the getaway. Not saying it doesn't happen, just maybe not much of a market for it.

Of course I could be wrong - there might be something out there but I haven't really looked into it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:23 am 
Site Admin

Anti pitch pole for the Hobie Getaway... is the size of the bow in the design of the boat. It is a lot of volume and very forgiving. Very different from the H14 / H16 which can trip over the bow / pitch pole, so we don't have an accessory designed for the Getaway. It's really not needed. Of course, you CAN pitch pole any cat, so some technique is important. If you are in conditions that are pushing the bows down hard... travel out the main or sheet out to reduce the load. If you sail in wave conditions that catch the forward trampoline... consider removing the forward trampoline.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I suppose you could take some aluminum sheet and make something. I had them in my 16 and didn't think they made much difference. On my getaway I find I really need to be pushing hard before it has any tendency to pitch-pole. Like Matt said just run the main traveler out about 1/2 way and sheet in, that will take some of the load off the leeward bow.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Getaway is about as pitchpole resistant as a sport cat can be without being underpowered. I think more tiller time would be a better solution. Here are a few suggestions:
Good weight distribution - bow and stern level. Bow can be a little elevated, but performance will suffer a bit.
Rudder management - especially on a beam to broad reach (avoid plowing into the backs of waves). Round up & sheet out if the leeward hull digs in.
Don't cleat the main in a blow
Furl the jib in a blow.
Back off a little on how hard you are driving the boat.

However in sport cat sailing, some capsizing is expected :wink: .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just purchased a Getaway which has such foils on the bows made by the previous owner. They are made of plastic sheet similar to the hull material and as I discovered a few weekends ago, they help when sailing in 18-25 kts wind in SF bay...don't know if we would have piched forward, but we were all fully back on the wing and the downwing hull was spraying like a fire hose at times! Ill include a photo soon when I get a chance...
regards