Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well I have an old hobie 16 that had got a bad hull, so I put an add up on c-list for a used hull, and one day I finally got a responds, so I called the guy and we talked about his cat and he told me about the story that it was in a tornado. The mast and sails were safe, but he said that when he got out of the cellar the hobie cat was hanging in a nearby tree. So I started asking questions about soft spots and the fiberglass hulls, and he started thinking about it and said "well the hulls are great but they are not fiberglass, they are some kind of plastic" so we figured out it was a 2005 getaway he had. The guy was sorry for bothering me and was about to hang up the phone, so I asked him what he would sale it for? He didnt know, just said "make him an offer"! He lived 2 hrs away and so I drove to see it. The tramps were trashed, one of the arms for the wing seat was broke, the tire rim was bent and the mast cradle was broke. but the hulls and everything else was in good shape. I made him an offer(about the same I was willing to spend on a used 16 hull) and he accepted! :D

So I replaced the tramps and fixed it all up and am loving it and it is worth a lot more than what I have in it. The family didnt really like the 16 but they love the getaway, I even let my 6 yr old take over sailing and she does great (would not feel comfortable doing that on the 16). The room and everything else on the getaway is great, though I am still looking for a hobie 16 hull :wink:
I will post pic's soon I named it "SLOWPOKE" (Speedy Gonzalez's cousin form looney tunes) :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Good stuff!!!!