Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to catsailing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am 42 married with two childeren 8 and 10. And from extensive research I think Im going to buy The Getaway, vs 17sport or FXone. I would like to teach my kids and wife to sail and at the same time be able to have some high wind fun with a budddy. I used to windsurf extensively in my younger years. When I read through the forums however, im a little lost on the rigging terminology, can someone set me straight on the terms and definitions? or point me to a site that can offer all this information? thanks, happy sailing all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

what specifically do need clarification on??

Post subject: Manual
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:00 am 
Site Admin

You can download the owners manual from the support area. That has terminology for the parts in it.

There is also a learn to sail page and a link to a sailing book you can download. http://www.hobiecat.com/experience/learn.html

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks guys for the reply guys, the link that was provided is excellent. Terminology like, ratchet block, boom block, forstray, jib furler, things like that. Also things like how do you furl your jib sail? can you also furl your main? and when should you furl your jib? probably to depower your unit in high winds right? thanks again guys, and happy sailing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

no way to furl the main, once its up, its up.....just the jib, a furling jib makes things alot easier on you and the crew if you need to dump the jib to just furl it rather than dealing with lowering the halyards, sail and wrestling with it on the tramp..also, there is no where to store the jib if you do take it down at sea.....only larger sailing yachts have furling mainsails (they roll up into the mast, some newer ones roll into the boom)

its a great boat, keep asking the Questions, we all do!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

to unfurl the jib, you just pull on the starboard or port jib line, to roll it back up there is a thinner line that you pull and it;ll roll right back up....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome!!

Like windsurfing, Cat sailing is a small tight community. Terminology, rigging, and sailing tips are shared freely. Where in the country are you located? There is a group of sailors near you that will be willing to help you and your family to make Hobie Cat sailing a permanent part of you life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I live in saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada. We always have wind here, but the season is kind of short. Usually starts in May and runs til september. If you go west into the rockies the season is a little longer.
There was another craft I am looking at and that is the Nacra 570. Here is the attraction of the Narca, its 18.5 ft and it has dagger boards, which I think would be much better for tacking in a light wind. With the length being 18.5 feet it would be less prone to pitch poling. I realize all cats do that, but anything to your advantge against this event is a good thing. Anybody have any thoughts on the Nacra 570?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OOps,.... I think Im mistaken on the dagger board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Stick with the Getaway. The Narca is way too much boat for a family to handle when the wind picks up. The Getaway goes upwind just fine. It will give you and a buddy a wild ride on a windy day. The Getaway will start to pitch pole but then fall over to one side and the mast float does its job well. Teach the family to sail with an old Sunfish or Laser. It will be much easier for them to understand and you to demonstrate the basics of tacking, jibiing etc. Rent 1 if you have to. 4-8 hours in a Sunfish or Laser will do it and then they can easily transition to the Getaway. The Getaway is really the only option if you want to take along a friend for each of the kids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey gears I'm in saskatoon too lol, I have been sailing Hobie cats since 1974 email me and I will give you any info you need, I bought a new getaway 2 weeks ago. If you like I will take you sailing and show you the ropes (no pun intended). --Roy [email protected]