Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New 2006 Getaway
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Brand new to sailing here.....worked with HobieCat in college on a project for them...the school flew us out to the factory where the design team took us out on their products....anywho sailed a Getaway, and wanted one naturally.

So hopefully this week my parents will be picking up our new Getaway.

Any advice for someone totally new to sailing? And any advice for a new Getaway?

I've been reading up on sailing and think I get the idea, and skills..however when I'm out there it will be totally different then sitting here reading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

After sailing 16’s since 75 I finally traded my 16 in for a new getaway. After 2 weekends with it I wish I had bought a new 16 instead. The boat is very nice and sails well and is very well behaved for beginners. It just doesn't have the thrills my 16 had. If you are just looking for a fun boat to kick around in, caries a lot of people, and can take the kids along its great. But if you want a boat to raise your blood pressure and get your adrenalin going then get a new 16. But hey that's just my opinion of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If it were for myself I'd get the 16 however it's for the parents and they wanted a more family friendly boat....used mostly for family recreation, and taking friends out on...so the volume of the getaway and ease of sailing is what made it shine....Also the plastic hulls are nice, though heavier