Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Broken Bolt
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I having been doing some much needed regular maintenance on my new to me 2001 Getaway before her planned maiden voyage last Saturday. So Last Friday night I went to replaced the rusted bolt in the Starboard Bow Spreader and its sheered off inside the crossbar... I knew the bolt was in bad shape but I didn't think it was that bad... I couldn't get it out with pliers or vice grips it didn't have enough solid material left. Of course this was all at about 9:30pm so I had to race to AutoZone to get an extractor set before they closed. I was able to drill down the center of the bolt and managed to avoid trashing the aluminum end block the bolt is set in to. It took about two hours but I finally got it out... I replaced both bolts with Stainless Steel.

Just another surprise from the PO...

I also replaced the lacing line on the front tramp, might as well since I had to unlace and remove the front tramp to get the hulls far enough apart to remove the front crossbar to be able to get to the broken bolt.

I also finished rebuilding the rudders (replaced cams and plungers, filled the new cams with epoxy for extra strength). I didn't get to paint the rudders like I wanted so that might wait til after the season now. Getting the plastic spacers back in between the castings and rudders was quite the PITA. So not something I want to repeat right now...

The good news is that I was able to compete the "had to fix" list Saturday morning so we could take her out on her maiden voyage, well at least her first with us...

The winds were up and we had a great day!

Post subject: Re: Broken Bolt
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Was that bolt origonally a SS bolt? Doesn't look like it, I wonder if they didn't put a little red lock tight on it when they assembled it. l little heat may have freed it up too.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Roy wrote:
Was that bolt origonally a SS bolt? Doesn't look like it, I wonder if they didn't put a little red lock tight on it when they assembled it. l little heat may have freed it up too.

The one on the port side was not SS so I would guess this one was not either. There was not much left of it. Heat might have helped 4 years ago when it should have been replaced. :-/ The front tramp was the only thing holding it together… I don't know how the Previous Owner didn't notice and fix this.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

those aren't the original ones, which were SS
pan head phillips. Its also good to coat SS with
grease or locktite blue to prevent alum corrosion
making the SS bolt hard to remove. good luck the
getaway is alot of fun..rigged a spin on mine last year
worked out nice..doug