Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks to those offering advice on the previous post. An adjusment to the mainsheet block did the trick.

The latest problem is that when sailing along uncleated, the block seems difficult to move and the sail does not go out easily. It has no problem coming back in. For instance, in moderate wind sailing uncleated I get a gust and try to let the sail out but it does not want to go.

Aside from upgrading to the better block system, is there some sort of adjustment, routine maintenance or lubrication that can be done to help with this?

Also, I purchased this boat used, and I am not 100% sure that the mainsheet block is rigged properly. I know it would be difficult to explain, but is there a resource or a place to get a photo to be sure it is done correctly?

Last question. The traveler does not move as easily as I would like. Is this something that should be lubricated?

Thanks, as always, for any information.

Kevin McDaniel

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:05 pm 
Site Admin

My guess is that the "ratchet" is turned on, on the main block sheave. Spins freely on the way in. Locks and causes the line to drag over the sheave on the way out. I't like a cleat in a way and help hold some of the line load.

Turn off the ratchet for light air. On for easier line handling in windier conditions.

Depends on the block type as to where the control knob / lever is. Right on top of the sheave on old Seaway blocks. On the side of others like the Getaway blocks.

Travelers work better when there is some friction in the track. Set and forget for the most part, but keep the track clean and maybe use some dry silicone lube.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Besides the ratchet issue that Matt mentioned, you may be right about the mainsheet rigging. Basically the lines should be kinda clean and not get stuck with each other. I don't know where to get a diagram, I kinda go by feeling to see if the lines are right. Can you take a picture of your lines (hook it on both places and pull the line snug) and then we could tell you if there may be a problem with the mainsheet rigging.
When sailing in moderate winds (8 knots or more) the sail should go out even with the ratchet on (I use it like that all the time with that wind).
Now it depends where the sail is. If it is tight, it should go out by itself. If you are trying to let it go all the way, I'd help it go out manually (push the clew of the sail)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the help everyone. The ratchet was definately an issue and I was able to figure out how to release it. I'll keep playing with the mainsheet rigging. I think it is probably OK and the ratchet was the main issue with the sail not going out in light winds.

Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

kevwindy wrote:
Last question. The traveler does not move as easily as I would like. Is this something that should be lubricated?

Did you ever get your traveler issue resolved? I am having a similiar issue that is requiring me to sheet out the main quite a ways before I can bring the traveler back in... (i'm dumping the main to depower it before I can move the traveler)
JT