Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: weekend report
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Beautiful weekend here on Long Island (NY) in the 80's and blue skies...Saturday produced absolutly no wind, but still had a great time on the beach with my 2 little ones and some perfectly chilled Grey Goose and tonics at 5......Sunday the wind gods were acting up, a steady 15 SE breeze..first i had to tape my torn jib (ran out of tape) but did enough to make her hold and not tear anymore....got a solid 2 hrs solo in before the wife had to leave the beach for a baby shower for a few hours, so i watched the kids for abit,..once she returned i took out 2 of my buddies now the winds were closer to 20 and we were flying...they were having a blast....they wanted to get on the road by 5 to get back to NYC, needless to say, we were pulling the boat onto they beach at 7!!!!! great day......only negative about the Getaway is that id does not handle 2-3 chop that well (as compared to my Hunter 146)

Post subject: Crazy night!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Last night too the Getaway out in the highest winds (15-20knots with 30kt gusts) I've been out in all summer. A guy at the launching ramp thougth we were crazy for going out...I guess hes never seen a hobie! I've gotten better at flying a hull. It was amazing..very choppy but once we got going fast it was smooth.....I was even able to jump one of the larger swells!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just get nervous when the bigger chop crashes over the hulls and front tramp going at speed, i feel its going to come to a dead stop and pitch,,unlike a monohull that plows right thru

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I havnt ever had it take a dive when a swell comes over it...i've sank the leeward bow a few times and have gone over....but never from punching through a swell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yesterday I went out solo in the windiest conditions yet, and probably had the most fun ever! Flying a hull was effortless and damn fun! Most of the time the winds are gusty and inconsistent, which makes it difficult to fly a hull for long periods of time. But yesterday the winds were very constant and predictable. My average hull flying was 5-15 seconds. A few times I was so high, I was practically standing up on the windward hull. Exhilarating and terrifying at the same time! What a rush.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

maybe i'm hesitating pushing it after my pitchpole incident a few weeks ago...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

yeah...most likely....I've sunk that leeward bow and had the boat come way up....it went up, and up....and then fell onto its side...I thought I might have a full pitchpole....but nope it ended up falling over