Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Delivered by truck, to Colorado in boxes that "I" still have to assemble ??? !!!

Includes shipping, wings, trailer, trapeze and tax.

WHAT DID YOU PAY FOR A NEW ONE ???????

Can I get one from your dealer, end of season a "little" cheaper ?

THANKS !!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's way too high, keep shopping around at different dealers. A new Getaway is usually around $7500-9000, depending on the options you get.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sounds about right to me. My dealer handed me the Hobie 2013 catalog with pricing.

Getaway $7599
Wings $1080
Getaway Shipping $299
Hobie Trailex Trailer $2230
Trailer Double Roller $433
Trailer Shipping $199
Trapeze Kit $96.99

Total 12,114.98 before paying state and local taxes and registration. Plus you may want a winch and straps for trailering and mast cradle. + PFDs if you don't already have them.

Nearly 3K is from the trailer, which seems very steep for a trailer that I believe is oversized for the Getaway. I'm not sure about Hobie Dealers discounting like other boat/car dealers.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dealer prices don't vary much. I called around and the discounts, if any, are little.

You can save money with cheaper trailers. BUT...you get what you pay for, and I had a cheap trailer (that I bought from the Rockford dealer 20 some years ago) break after about 5 years.

I spent a lot more than that on my boat. But yeah, the options add up. I got the spinnaker kit (Dealer charged an additional $250 to install it! But, after seeing it, that was justifiable!), Cheeta motor mount, Torqeedo 1003 motor, mast stepper III, galvanized Genesis trailer...pretty much the entire option list.

When you see it listed as $7599, that's the complete boat. But wings are extra, trailer is extra.

My dealer knocked off $300 for the complete package, so I figure that covered a little more than what I paid for spinnaker installation (just to be clear, I paid $1680 for the spinnaker kit + extra 250 for him to install it).

And no, I haven't seen any end of season discounts. I think they sell them out every year. Late model used ones are scarce, too. It's a great boat, popular, very flexible, very durable, so not many on the used market. I intend to sail mine until I wear the hulls through! :)

Realized I didn't answer your question. Take a deep breath. With Illinois sales tax, registration, and all the options, I paid $17,000. But that's with a $2000 motor, $500 Cheeta motor mount, Spinnaker, wings, trapeze kit, mast stepper III, sail box, pfds, and no doubt some things I've forgotten. And then, afterwords, you'll find you need (fill in the blank. My blank included wetsuit, drybags, marine radio for sailing offshore Lake Michigan, a supply of emergency shackles, pins, pliers, etc just in case.......)

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Doesn't sound out of line to me. For my Weta, trailer and all 6 sails, I have about $16,500 invested.

You take care of it and look at what it's going to cost you per year per outings and it seems like a good value.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I can't think of a better way to spend 13K......best of luck, enjoy the boat!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks to all of you !

It is worth it and time to bit the bullet !!!