Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: help me to decide
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i am looking to buy my first boat this next season. i have sailed a couple sunfish and taken out some cats a few times. i decided i like the speed and the lack of heel that a cat gives you.

I am more of a i want to go somewhere type of person. my favorite sail was a three hour trip up the halifax river to go to a resturaunt for lunch and then sail back. I don't get too much thrill for too long out of cutting back and forth in front of the marina. Even the idea of sailing out one day camping and sailing back the next has crossed my mind a few times.

I'm trying to decide a good boat for me in the sub 10,000 dollar range. i think i've gotten it down to a used 21sc or a newer hobie getaway.

a few things i like are the forward tramp and wings for the extra afforded deck space. and the motor mount would be real nice because i have a little electric motor that would have made getting into and out of that marina back home a heck a lot easier.

the getaway i like becasue its a bit shorter(i can't immagine how much driveway space a 21 foot boat must take). its got the poly hulls which i THINK are better???? It would be a newer boat so hopefully it wouldn't need as much maitnence cost up front. and it has the roller furling jib.

the 21sc i like because of the immense ammount of deck space. the central storage that would be great for the battey, has a cooler spot that doesn't flood. it has the furling main AND job (i love furling sails). It has a Genaker option for a full sail load. and the camping tent idea is very cool for multi day trips. the only thing i don't know about would be trailering and storing such a long boat. and the maitnence i would have to do on an 10+ year old glass boat.

Any suggestions or opinions? thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can't say alot about most of the topics because I do not own either boat but if you are worried about what you will have to do to a 10 year old boat. Cross that worry off your list. Other than the little stuff like shrouds and stuff like that you will not have many repairs if the boat has been cared for. My 1967/68 14 is as solid as a rock. The hulls are very water tight and even after almost 40 years she is still a grea boat. So if you are worried about the hulls on the glass boat don't worry to much.

Post subject: Getaway or 21SC?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

Getaway or 21SC?

The Getaway is a mini 21SC. They have many of the same features. The 21SC is easier to rig since it comes with a mast stepping pole and system. You can get a system for a Getaway though. The 21 has a bit more capacity due to the larger hulls and versatility with the roller reefing main. The Getaway has it beat on durability in day to day sailing conditions. Hard to hurt the poly hulls. The 21 is fiberglass and will require a bit more care in handling around rocks, ramps and the like.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How can we expect the poly to hold up over years of sun exposure. i'm hoping for this boat to last me a good long time.

Post subject: MMMMM which one?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had the same delima when I was in the market for a boat. I ended up buying a Getaway due to compromise. The Getaway boat I could let my kids sail and not worry to much about them crashing it. I will say that as soon as the kids are gone or more reponsable I will be looking for a 21SC. The 21SC is a nice faster boat and has a mast raising rig that the Getaway doesn't. The big drawback the Getaway has is raising the mast and I've noticed that on firm winds when sailing with wings, the support brackets on the side of the hulls tend to work like a brake and restrict your top end speed. The wing supports on the 21SC go through the top of the hulls and therefore no braking effect with smoother waterline results in much faster, quiet boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What is that all about anyway? Why wouldn't they build the getaway with the same seat design and the 21? The first good wind I went out in I did notice that the leaward seat really slowed the boat down. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

why did hobie discontinue the 21sc? i'm guessing cost issues killed it? and are they hard to find? I can't afford one at six thousand right now unless someone offers financing options on an older boat. i have about two thousand ready to go.