Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I took apart my furler because the furler drum seemed to be sticky. I was appalled. The thrust bearings were corroded pretty badly with about 4 of them seized completely to the ring. Matt, can you provide the dimensions so I can purchase some stainless replacements? If these were supposed to be stainless, you got a bad batch from your supplier.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

tpdavis473 wrote:
I took apart my furler because the furler drum seemed to be sticky. I was appalled. The thrust bearings were corroded pretty badly with about 4 of them seized completely to the ring. Matt, can you provide the dimensions so I can purchase some stainless replacements? If these were supposed to be stainless, you got a bad batch from your supplier.

I've noticed the same with mine. I ordered the rebuild kit and will probably use bicycle waterproof grease on the bearings when I put it back together. It is not a high end assembly.

-2013 H16 #1`13780
-2014 Getaway w/wings,spinnaker,& trapeze

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In Hobie's defense, thrust bearing race ring stainless will usually corrode around the edges of the holes because the cutters are not stainless and leave some residue during the manufacturing process of cutting the holes in the ring. The compression rings on these are OK after I sanded the corrosion off, and I probably can salvage the race ring with some elbow grease and sandpaper. I normally haven't seen bearings completely seized like these are which means the stainless itself may not be very good grade in the race ring...and I can't know whether or not the previous owner of this boat hosed down the furler after sailing in salt water (I suspect not since he beach launched). I'll reassemble and see what it looks like in 6 months. But I probably will try to find an alternate supplier since the rebuild kit will likely be from the same supplier to Hobie as the original and will likely corrode just the same. The only critical dimension is the depth or thickness of the two compression rings and the race between. I may replace the whole thing since I'm not sanguine about forestay loads being supported by snap rings; but I haven't seen anyone post that their mast fell over because the furler came apart, so maybe it is OK.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

After taking it apart further and getting all the bearings out of the race ring, I have to apologize. The race ring itself is not stainless, it is rust colored plastic (it may have been a different color when new). SO, I have to blame the seized bearings on poor maintenance on the part of the previous owner. All of the bearings (and everything else inside the furler) have a brown residue on them which I thought was rust, but I suspect is tree sap or some other sticky substance.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:55 am 
Site Admin

It is very common for blowing sand and dust to carry metallic particles. These stick to wires and fittings and rust in salt conditions.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here is a little vid i found useful when i cleaned and regreased my furler.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhrzlrgVEBk

Last edited by waldorf on Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

waldorf wrote:
Here is a little vid i found useful when i cleaned and regreased my curler.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhrzlrgVEBk

Two things that you can do instead of what's seen on the video and which is a little easier on you. First, you don't have to remove the large circlip, you can take it apart by just removing the small one and the screw. Second, insert the furling line and tie through the hole before lowering the top casing onto the shaft.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II