Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Below are a few things I've found helpful when righting the Getaway. Righting a Getaway can be real simple, with the right technique.

Release the main - first release the main sheet. Doing so, will allow the water to spill out of the main sail, otherwise the main sail acts as a huge bucket full of water. Then once the sail is out of the water, the wind will catch it and create a lot of force against you if still cleated. It can be almost impossible to right the boat until the main sail is uncleated.

Point the capsized boat into the wind – a very important thing particular to beach cats is the direction of the boat to the wind while on its side. The boat travels fast while on its side. The tramp acts as a sail which can make it incredibly difficult to right the vessel if the bottom of the boat is perpendicular to the wind. I have found that pointing the bow into the wind has allowed me to right the boat MUCH easier. The easiest way to point the boat into the wind is to throw out the anchor and wait for it to catch; eventually the boat will point directly into the wind. If you don’t have an anchor, you can try standing as far to one end of the boat as possible (this may take longer than the anchor method) eventually boat will pivot enough to point slightly into the wind.

Lean, don’t pull – A trick I’ve found to that allows me to conserve energy while righting the boat is to place the righting line behind my back and lean back on the line, instead of pulling the line with my hands.

By releasing the main, pointing the boat into the wind and leaning on the righting line I have been able to right our 390lb Hobie Getaway while solo (I weight about 170lb). However, getting into a fluster and forgetting one of these steps while righting the boat can make it a real P.I.T.A!!

Fee free to share the tips and tricks you've found to easily right the Getaway.

Thanks,

ClamCounter