Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stepping mast video
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I attempted to step the mast solo on my Hobie and made this video. enjoy...

http://utahsummersailing.blogspot.com/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=733z8c7EUJ8

I fixed the link!

Last edited by kevinbatchelor on Sat May 24, 2014 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Stepping mast video
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I get accessed denied under my logon. Is there any trick to watching the video?

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Can't seem to open this and I DO want to see it.

Any chance of e-mailing me the link?

Thanks !!!!

[email protected]

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Got it !

Way to go !!

Thanks !!!

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great.

Sent from my N9810 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for making that video. How did you attach the jib sheet line to the forestay adjuster? It looked like some kind of shackle. I have raised the mast solo with an additional rope that I tied around the mast, then wrapped around forward crossbar. Your idea looks much better! I know that the mast is heavy and awkward. With that being said, I don't like raising the mast solo. I always try to get someone to sail with me.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I attached the jib line to the for stay using a small shakel.

Sent from my N9810 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great idea. Thank you for the video.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Kevin,

I just wanted to let you know that your youtube videos were the catalyst for my getaway purchase. I've been trying to get my wife to buy into the sailing idea for a while and she was only lukewarm. I found your videos, sat the whole family down to watch them and it was what got the wife to sign off on the purchase. It also got my kids stoked to try sailing. We just went out for the first sail yesterday and can't wait to go again. Thanks for posting those videos!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm very happy that you enjoyed my video, but even more happy that your now taking your family sailing!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the video. How heavy is the mast? I tried stepping today for the first time with my new to me Getaway. I couldn't do it. Once my friends let go I was unable to get leverage while on the tramp. I'm very impressed watching you dead lift it up to your shoulder. Oh well, I'll try again and maybe try to rig a system using the trailer winch, the forward mast support and trapezes to keep the mast in column. If anyone (older and less fit!) would like to offer suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Question, do any of you use a rear mast rest on your trailer?

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Whenever I see someone lift a Getaway mast/bob by themselves I'm always amazed. I suppose I could have done it in my younger days, but now I just use the Mast Stepper III. If someone is there to help I don't bother with the side guy lines, just use the jin pole to do the heavy lifting. Only takes a few extra minutes. But when you're alone you just can't beat it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good to know that the Hobie designed mast stepper for the Getaway works well for single handers. I think I have devised a method that seems promising and uses mostly what I already have (I'm cheap!). I tried it out today up to a point where the tree branches got in the way. I have both a front and rear mast rest on the trailer and trapeze wires. I rolled the mast back to the ball and attached and pinned it (mast is supported about 30 degrees from horizontal by the rear mast rest). I used the top trapeze wire and ran a line from the top trapeze wire to a block at the top of the forward mast rest. I ran the end of the line to the mainsheet. With me in the same position I would be to raise it by brute force, I pulled on the mainsheet. After getting all the slack out of the system and mainsheet and trapeze was taking all the weight off the rear mast rest. At that point I could brute force lift the mast easily and probably could have continued all the way up except for the tree limbs---it seems to be the dead lift to the shoulder that makes it hard. Note that I am still in position to keep the mast from swaying as it goes up. When the mainsheet system was holding most of the weight, I checked to see how much tension was in the system just to be sure I have sized the block and line properly (and to be sure the trapeze could support that load, as well). There was tension but it wasn't like a piano wire, so I felt there was adequate sizing of the system components.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm used to stepping H16 masts solo. It was a hassle the first few times but once you figure it out it is pretty easy.
Trick 1: Don't stand on the tramp to start.
Trick 2: Set the shrouds in the top hole.

Stand on the rear crossbar until you have the mast on your shoulder. One bounce from the mast rest to your shoulder. Then one bounce to overhead. Once overhead just walk forward on the tramp until the shrouds are tight. If you have crew they pin the forestay, if solo tension the forestay with whatever you have jury rigged to hold the mast up while you hop down and pin the rig. with the shrouds loose it should be easy to pin the forestay.

Hobie made a video in the 70's that shows the technique. I can't find it on You Tube.

I'm 62 ... if I can do it ... :-)

-2013 H16 #1`13780
-2014 Getaway w/wings,spinnaker,& trapeze

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, I'll try the "bounce" technique next time (I think I know what you mean by that). I'm pretty sure you are right that my first unsuccessful attempt was because I was standing on the tramp and not something firm like the rear crossbar==but I have hopes for the mainsheet system as I grow older (I'm 65 now). Question, why do the shrouds have to be in the top holes--is it just to make pinning the forestay easier? Has anyone used a "properly sized" carabiner or something similar instead of the provided hardware to pin the forestay? I have a friend with a Windrider 17 who has fitted his forestay with a bow shackle and carabiner. He just pushes mast up then clips the bow shackle with the carabiner and he's done...none of the fiddling with the tiny tiny securing ring.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II