Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: weather helm
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've got a new getaway and even with the rudder rake adjustment set all the way forward, there is exsessive weather helm. There seems to be play in the rudders allowing them to rake backwards as pressure is exerted on them. Any way to correct this?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:23 am 
Site Admin

Read the FAQ on rudder rake.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=467

Sounds like the cams are releasing which allows the rudder to move aft under sailing loads.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Last edited by mmiller on Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The cams will release normally, they are set pretty tight but the rudders kick up properly when engaged with the bottom. The problem is there is play in the system. If the rudders are not drilled correctly from the factory, shouldn't this be a warranty issue. My dealer said they are all like this.....My 17 did not have this problem, same system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It sounds like the cam plate on the upper casting is pushed too far back (if the rudder has play when it is locked down) To fix this loosen the bolt on the top of the casting with a 1/2" thin walled socket... with the rudder in the locked down position... push the rudder tip forward while pushing the cam plate forward at the same time using a flat head screw driver//// while holding this you then re-tighten the bolt and this should take all the rudder pushing back type slop out of it keeping it tighter to the transom and reducing the weather helm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I did mention that the rudder adjustment was all the way forward.

I'm not a novice, and I can redrill my rudders, but I don't think I should have to do this right out of the box.

Also, I have the indented rudders that they use on the plastic rudder system. I wonder if that is the cause.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The rudder adjustment being forward will still not work correctly if the cam plate is not pushed forward.... when its under load you state that the rudder has play the lets it push back... this is related to the position of the cam plate on the upper casting.

feel free to contact me direct for my number [email protected]

Post subject: Rake.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:08 pm 
Site Admin

This is a new boat? 2005 or older right?

The upper cam plate (in the upper casting) has to be pushed forward to hold the rudder forward in the lower casting. But... the adjuster plate can be pushed too far forward. That prevents the cam from locking correctly and the rudder would slip back under less load than desired.

I don't understand what play you are seeing if all is adjusted as described above.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It is strange, the cam plate in the upper casting is all the way forward, but it does don't ride tightly against the cam slot in the closed position. Therefore there is enough play to allow the rudders backward about 1.5 inches at the bottom of the rudder, definately giving me a way too much helm with anything above 7 mph wind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

oh yeah, it is an 06 boat just purchased.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My 06 getaway has the new style rudder system and also had a lot of weather helm. There is virtually no adjustment on the new system. I finally had to add stainless washers behind the upper gudgeon to reduce weather helm. I asked my dealer why a new boat would have this problem but he had no intelligent answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roy wrote:
My 06 getaway has the new style rudder system and also had a lot of weather helm. There is virtually no adjustment on the new system. I finally had to add stainless washers behind the upper gudgeon to reduce weather helm. I asked my dealer why a new boat would have this problem but he had no intelligent answer.

My guess, it's like understeer and your everyday passenger car. Keeps you alert and is liability related. Weather helm keeps the boat in the default position of heading up and stopping...if the skipper falls asleep at the tiller. :P :lol: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

From my own experiences, Hobie skippers dont tend to fall asleep at the helm unless external agents are applied...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

but I'm talkin sooo much helm that you can't hold a beam to close point of sail in any decent wind for longer than 5 minutes. I'll have popeye forearms at this rate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

gumbycat wrote:
but I'm talkin sooo much helm that you can't hold a beam to close point of sail in any decent wind for longer than 5 minutes. I'll have popeye forearms at this rate.

Quote:
My guess, it's like understeer and your everyday passenger car. Keeps you alert and is liability related. Weather helm keeps the boat in the default position of heading up and stopping...if the skipper falls asleep at the tiller. Razz Laughing Very Happy

or passes out from exhaustion :lol:

Post subject: See your dealer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:46 am 
Site Admin

See your dealer...

Odd that a 2006 model has the older system. We went to the EZ Loc rudders at the start of the 2006 season, but who knows. I am assuming this is a USA sold boat? Europe also sells the Getaway and uses the older aluminum castings. Where is this boat?

If the cam plate does not fit into the cam correctly and it allows the rudder to move aft... there is a problem that we can not help with over the web. The plate must seat all the way into the cam. Likely a new rudder would also not help as they are all drilled the same. This my require the rudder to be re-drilled, but see your dealer.

Standard rake adjustments will work just fine, but since the mast rake is adjustable... the further aft the mast rake, the more weather helm. So, perhaps raking the mast forward is the best solution on some of this.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)