Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have seen a few Getaways on line with these sails and I am getting ready to add one to mine. I am going to use a furler system and I am considering the Ronstan 60 series which is a continuous line system and want to know if anyone has any experience with it. I have a friend coming down to visit in a few months and he will bring all of the parts needed with him, except for the pole, I can't figure out how to get it in his luggage. I can get aluminium tubing here for the pole, but I need the dimensions if anyone on this site has them. From the photos I have seen I am guessing they are about 11 to 12ft long and about a 2" diameter.

One of the major reasons I bought the getaway is the front tramp and I would like to keep it clear for the family to use. Because of this I am considering reinforcing the front cross beam and attaching a short 4'6" pole (bowsprit) to it, with the bridle wires attached to the front of the hulls. This shorter pole would give me a total length of 9'6" from the main beam and a sail area of approximately 85sf, which I think would probably be 25 to 30% less than with the full length pole. With the reduced load on the sail and less leverage on a short pole, I wonder if the front cross beam would be able to handle the sail.

One last question on this project, Even if I use a full length pole I will keep the length at 9'6" and considering the size of the sail, about double the factory jib, are standard blocks suitable for the sheets, or would ratchamatic blocks be needed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Vern. I am in the process of buying a Hobie Getaway. I am downgrading from a Tiger to get a boat more suited to recreational sailing. So I am trying to get maximum performance out of the Getaway and am proposing to install a furling Code Zero on the standard spinnaker pole. Lots of things to think about like where to place the tang on the mast head, how long to make the foot of the sail, where to locate the blocks for the sheets etc. How did you go with your plans discussed below?

Happy to received advice from anyone.

Cheers
Frank

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's something to think about... the reason that some large headsails use furlers while others require a snuffer has to do with how the sail is cut. I have some "spinnakers" that will furl nicely as they're cut fairly flat. Others won't furl worth a crap because they're cut so much fuller. When you try to furl them they refuse to furl equally or at all tightly. They roll and bag out in places, and if the wind is up they'll pull open where you have such a loose "bag" of material.

I'd check and see what Hobie offers for storing them. If they supply a snuffer, then it's unlikely you'll be able to get a nice furl on your sail. It may be cut too full to be used with a furler. Just something to think about before you plop down the cash.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My Getaway has the Hobie 16 spinnaker kit. So far there has never been a condition or point of sail that I have wished I had a screecher. What sailing conditions do you want the sail for? A screecher on a furler will hurt allready poor windward performance on the boat. It might be slightly faster in light air off the wind. In anything over 10 the boat sails with the wind about 120-135 apparent with the spinnaker. To deep for a Code 0 or Screecher.

I understand wanting to keep the front tramp clear. I'd consider have a bigger jib made and relocating blocks for the jib sheets aft before I'd put a screecher on the boat.

-2013 H16 #1`13780
-2014 Getaway w/wings,spinnaker,& trapeze

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the advice. Something to think about. I hadn't considered a bigger jib but it is a good idea. The reason I am getting a Getaway is to have fun and with simplicity of rig. The fewer number of extra bits I have to add on the better.
Cheers