Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
Same logic applies to the stepper issues you raised. Just saying... It's how it comes across. We are all here to help if we can and I did in fact improve the instructions per your perception of them being unclear.

Corsair is kinda a DIY boat, so I understand the difference there.

There was nothing wrong with the stepper instructions. Your response to one person that berated you for their own lack of comprehension speaks volumes about your commitment to Hobie products. Well done.

Ut oh ...

Corsair and Ian F are divorced. It was messy. Ian's responses to questions about Corsairs that I've read are less than helpful. When Farrier's statements are questioned on other forums he gets very defensive when his word is not taken as gospel.

Ian Farrier supports his business just like Hobie supports theirs. Farrier's business for year was selling plans to DIY sailors. I don't know what percentage of his plans get completed and of those how many get completed with unauthorized modifications. When I was reading his stuff regularly prior to making a boat purchase his attitude kept me from buying one of his designs. I'm sure that reflects the years of improvements the people that buy his plans have made. :-D

I'm still considering a Corsair F-28R ... even though it has more Farrier influence than I would like. It seems to be the best option if I want to race One-Design. The point that gets missed too often is that even if you race under a handicap system your base handicap comes from an as designed boat. Any changes you make are assumed to be for performance increase and your modified boat will be handicapped faster than a standard boat. For racing having the protection of a well established class handicap is a benefit. The production trimaran market is very limited and I would much rather tune and sail than tinker and build. I have professional experience with trimaran owners and with Farrier designs that leaves me less than impressed.

I ended up buying 3 Hobie 16s last year to start a local fleet and I added a Getaway this year. As soon as I can sell the the old lead mine I'll probably take another look at a Corsair built F-28R as my last boat ...

Keep up the good work Matt.

-2013 H16 #1`13780
-2014 Getaway w/wings,spinnaker,& trapeze

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

28R is a nice boat. Very well designed. If you are serious about racing it, ask for it to be weighed before accepting delivery. Production QC on Corsair boats has slipped since they shipped manufacture to Vietnam and weight can vary by several hundreds of pounds...which can mean that the boat you buy new is a dog compared to one in a different production cycle.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

R/Thom:
My original jib was a standard jib (non wing), it started out about 40 sq ft, I then kept cutting it back for exactly the reason you mentioned (severe weather helm ). It ended up around 30 sq ft but was still hard to manage and had to be furled in some in higher winds, didn't help much on speed , maybe a couple mph on a reach, but it did allow you to point much higher into the wind on upwind (something the TI is not so good at unless your willing to pedal). That's basically why I designed the wing which has almost no heeling moment at all, to test it out I went out in 25 mph winds letting it freewheel like a weathervane and was able to pedal in tight figure 8's, no weather helm at all.
I agree with you a setup like mine will do you no good, my setup is really designed to run in zero to 5 mph winds which are typical around here ten months out of the year (the wing creates it own wind via forward motion (apparent wind)). Totally useless for your intentions and purpose, plus you are blessed with good wind.
Once you get done post some video for us, I for one love this kind of innovation, might get us out of the 60's someday.
Good luck
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
R/Thom:
... I for one love this kind of innovation, might get us out of the 60's someday.
Good luck
Bob

"Simply messing...about in boats -- or with boats... In or out of 'em it doesn't matter. Nothing seems to matter, that's the charm of it. Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not." ...Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame; couldn't say it better; couldn't agree more.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II