Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Need some help in how to install the mast base onto the mast. I've got the new mast base (the old was damaged ... don't ask!) but no rivets.

What type (material) and size rivets do I need? I would imagine I need something stronger than standard hardware kit.
I imagine "metal on metal" is bad, so need something to prevent corrosion? What am I looking for?

Hoping to try and get this sorted tomorrow morning so I can go for a sail this weekend. Any help appreciated.

Mick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mast bases are installed using 3/16" diameter stainless steel (or monel) rivets. You are unlikely to find these at most hardware stores. You can get rivets through your Hobie dealer, Murrays, West Marine or my preferred - McMaster Carr. You will have to buy way more rivets than you need if you go through McMaster, but you will likely receive them the next day and they're cheaper (per rivet) than any sailing retailer.

I don't know the specific length for the rivets you need on your mast base, but as a general rule, if your overall rivet length is about 1/8" to 1/4" longer than the total thickness of the materials you're riveting, you will be fine.

Keep in mind that the hardware store variety of rivet guns can be used to pop stainless steel rivets, but it takes an extremely strong grip strength. The rivet mandrel also has a tendency to come shooting out of the back of the gun at a high rate of speed, so be sure to wear safety goggles if you go this route. I use a heavy duty rivet tool from Harbor Freight. It cost $25 and pulls stainless steel rivets with ease - I highly recommend it.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mickjf wrote:
Need some help in how to install the mast base onto the mast. I've got the new mast base (the old was damaged ... don't ask!) but no rivets.

What type (material) and size rivets do I need? I would imagine I need something stronger than standard hardware kit.
I imagine "metal on metal" is bad, so need something to prevent corrosion? What am I looking for?

Hoping to try and get this sorted tomorrow morning so I can go for a sail this weekend. Any help appreciated.

Mick

#8010131 3/16" x 3/8" SS Pop Rivets (need 4)
#8011291 Rivet Cap (need 4)

Your Hobie catalog is your friend.

-2013 H16 #1`13780
-2014 Getaway w/wings,spinnaker,& trapeze

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks guys - found someone at the local sailing club who could help out. Thanks again.