Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all,

I'm designing some custom hatches for my hobie getaway so that I can keep a lot of my gear off the top of my boat and have a clean operation. For example, I like to snorkel with friends and also go camping with my hobie getaway. That dive gear and campaign gear sits up front in a bag and can possibly bounce if I'm in some waves. I'd like to clean up my ship and hide some of the dive gear in some hatches. I'm thinking of replacing the hatches with larger hatches that act as storage boxes. I may also make another hatch in front of the main crossbar.

I was thinking of making the storage boxes twice as long as they currently are... but with braces running width-wise across the top (port to starboard) to retain some strength for hull flexing.

Do you have any thoughts on things I should consider?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello

Did you make them?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've had my Getaway for 8 years. After the first season, I thought about doing the same thing. It's fine when I am solo but when the family (wife and 3 kids)comes along they bring a lot of stuff. Anyway, I never did it. The storage coolers that are in the hulls from the factory are a molded part of the hull. My concern was if I cut out the factory storage coolers to add a bigger drop in liner and hatch or just added new storage to the hull someplace else (forward of the main cross bar or near the rear cross bar), I might be compromising the structural integrity of the hulls. Not to mention, if not sealed well, if you capsize the hull could fill with water and make righting the boat nearly impossible or very difficult to sail once righted with one hull half filled with water. You'd want to keep a bilge pump on board for sure.

I did add some 6" deck plates to the hulls behind the rear cross bar with drop in hobie bags for some safety/emergency gear. I felt the smaller opening in that location was not going to compromise the hulls and much easier to ensure a good water tight seal. Also, I wanted access to the inside of the hull by the rudders for maintenance/repair as one of the rudder pintles needed some attention. Certainly not the large storage area I wanted but at least the safety gear was not taking up space in the coolers that were used for other regularly used items like phone, flip flops, anchor, sunscreen, bungies, etc...

Please let us know if you end up doing it. I'd love to know if it works out.

This thread has a link in the first post to the hatches from West Marine I was thinking about using. They are the 13" x 30" box.

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... it=storage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, I made them.

My first hobie got hit by a truck, so I had to cut up the hulls and throw them in the trash. This process let me see what's inside the hulls: Air. What a beautiful place to put gear.

I cut two large openings on the topside of each hull which gave me a lot of space to get gear down in the hulls.

This has worked out tremendously because I only have a couple of items that sit on deck: my cooler and maybe a 5gal bucket.

The only downside is the hatches are not water tight which means you don't really want to try flying the hull due to the risk of capsizing.

You can see my work in action on youtube if you search for my username here, TheInterestHunter. One of these days I'll do a video showing what I've done.