Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Today (August 23, 2015) I sailed on my boat with my neighbor as crew and the Weta was sharing the Carquinez with me. Once again, the PNs indicate that the Weta should be faster, but today the Getaway was quicker upwind...even tho the Weta has a big daggerboard, the Getaway pointed as well or better. Wind was in the low to mid teens with little current to contend with...just a gorgeous day to play. Fixed the mast ball squeak with two pieces of 4 mil plastic dropcloth with a little vaseline between the plastic. Have to change the plastic every other sail, but that's no big deal. I gotta say, I'm very happy with the Getaway. The Hobie jib is really well designed with draft well forward, so it draws well even when pinching--I don't think I can do better myself (and that's saying a lot). We did have an issue on the spinnaker takedown, I didn't drive deep enough so spin flew to the side after releasing the halyard so we went shrimping. In case this ever happens to you, the easiest way to get the spin back on board is to drop the mainsail so there's nothing moving the boat. My modified tiller worked well--I stopped using the tiller extension and drove using the bar. If I'm forward and need to steer, I put in a "tiller tamer" that worked well. Didn't blow any tacks today!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1XDdxknGR0

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

interesting you use the spi with no pole.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roy wrote:
interesting you use the spi with no pole.

I nearly always have wind in the teens to twenties in the summer. The wind direction is also nearly always upwind and downwind. So I fitted a smaller symmetric spinnaker that uses one of the holes just above the jib attachment (18 foot luff and 15 foot foot). It is tacked and guyed to the front crossbeam and sheeted about halfway back on the seats. It works OK for driving deep downwind, but apparent wind cannot come from the beam or above, ie, drives like most monohulls. Top speed I've seen so far is only 13.5 kts (15.5 mph) so I expect the boats with a sprit and an asymmetric with the halyard higher up on the mast will see higher speeds, but VMG will not be that much different on a ddw course (which is what I usually have to sail). It is also a bit safer to sail as there is nearly no side component--the boat sails very flat with bows up. It's not for everyone or every place, but I'm happy with it so far. Of course, it is pretty economical; 5 small blocks and a few lengths of line for controls and about $100 in materials to make the spinnaker (I made my own, but if you wanted to duplicate my setup, you could easily get a used spin from somewhere for under $400). The line loads are much smaller than on an asymmetric, so the spin sheets are hand held without even any need for ratchet blocks.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Following is the October installment of the first season videos. I gotta say that I don't feel quite as fat and old as the video makes me look. The tiller tamer steering worked flawlessly and is a great addition for those of you who like to single hand. Spinnaker is getting better, gotta work on getting the gybes more smooth...a perfect gybe with a symmetric kite keeps the spin full and you just turn the boat under it...none of my gybes were perfect :( It was light wind (8-10) with about 2 kts of current helping me go upwind. I got 6 kts of boatspeed which is pretty good with that little wind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30fTTxzeBUY

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm not familiar with the "tiller tamer". Can you give more detail about how it is installed and how it works?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

wxup wrote:
I'm not familiar with the "tiller tamer". Can you give more detail about how it is installed and how it works?

Simple installation if you have the wings. You will need 4 tiny blocks or new ronstan "shocks" which is what I used because they are cheap. You will need about 40 feet of 1/8" line. Attach the blocks to the pillars of the wings. At least one of the attachments should be made with a little bungie--I actually used bungie on all four attachments. Tie one end of the line to the tiller just below the bar on one side, route the line to the opposite side block, then forward to the front block on that side, across the mid beam to the forward block opposite, back to the rear block and then to the opposite tiller. Pull the line and the rudders move. If the tension is adjusted correctly, there will be a little give to the line but you can steer with one hand.

Say you are sitting on the stbd ama...pull the line from the front and the rudder moves as if you were pushing the tiller; pull on the line from aft and the rudder moves as if you were bringing the tiller toward you. Takes a little getting used to AND if you have crew or family they have to be trained NOT to step on the line or you won't be able to steer. Getaway is cool that way, though, since the line is wrapped mostly out of the way.

If your boat is badly out of balance, this isn't a good system since sail forces might overcome your grip--but the Getaway is pretty well balanced and easy to steer this way. I used to use a similar system on my F24 before I got an autohelm.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the information. It looked from your video like you could let go of the steering line to tend other lines and the boat would continue on a straight course. Is there something built into the system to maintain a certain amount of friction so the rudders will not move on their own, or do you have to keep a hand on the steering line at all times?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My boat is well balanced and I can let go on most points of sail and the boat will continue to track for a short time (up to about a minute). The tiller tamer system adds a tiny bit of friction to the system, so it may help some to keep the boat tracking if you are going straight. If you do want to "lock" the tiller in position all you have to do is step/sit on the line.

In the video you can see me hoisting the spin or gybing...I let go of everything during those activities for as long as I need to and let the boat take care of itself. I think I do sometimes have to correct steering, tho since the boat doesn't hold course as well with just one sail on on a reach. When I drop the mainsail, the boat tends to itself-it tends to round up to about 60 degrees off the wind direction with the mainsail unhooked from the mainsheet-sorta heave to. Good thing since it is occasionally difficult to unhook the halyard from the hook--fortunately I have a lot of sea room.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Do you ever sail sitting on the wing seats? What do you do then?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

i made the bungie attachment to the posts loose enough that I can move them up to the seat if I want to. So far, though, I haven't sailed single handed in enough wind that I would need to move my weight further outboard. When I have crew, I don't use the tiller tamer usually. I mostly use the bar, or, if I'm sitting on the seat, use a short tiller extension. I added a clip to the bar to clip the short tiller extension to so it stays out of the way unless needed. I no longer use the long tiller extension that comes with the boat. But I still have it if I decide I need it. BTW, my short tiller extension is just a pultruded epoxy rod you can get at tap plastic--much lighter than stock.

If I get caught with too much wind to keep the heel controlled comfortably, I will reef (I added reef points to my mainsail). Hasn't happened yet, but it may.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Try McLube on your ball. Works well for me and lasts awhile.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

tpdavis473 wrote:
If I get caught with too much wind to keep the heel controlled comfortably, I will reef (I added reef points to my mainsail). Hasn't happened yet, but it may.

Hi... can you talk more about how the reefing will work?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

leecea wrote:
tpdavis473 wrote:

Hi... can you talk more about how the reefing will work?

There's a separate thread on reefing a Getaway, you should look at that. Basically, though, You add reef points (either grommets or straps) just above the second batten. You do have to have your sailmaker reinforce that area. When reefing, you lower the sail and hook the mainsheet into the rear grommet or strap. You hook the cunningham into the front grommet or strap. You roll the leftover sail around the first batten and tie through the grommets to hold it up out of the way...you then rehoist the mainsail...you "should" use an extension line so you can hook the main halyard normally...but you "can" just hoist and then tie off at the bottom cleat. If you are in that much wind and are doing this while sailing (say a storm cell shows up unexpectedly), you probably will just cleat it off to limp to shore--it is a pretty deep reef with the head of the mainsail now located around where the jib attachment is (about where the comptip starts); so it should be OK. If you are leaving shore with that much wind, you probably should use the extension.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks.