Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I got into a pinch in the marina. I hoisted the main while close to head to wind and tied to the dock. After untying, my intention was to back the boat out to clear some boats tied next to me...but it didn't back up worth a darn. Seemed it would back up a few feet but then the mainsail would drive me forward. Crew was able to fend off the boats I woulda crashed into. Certainly didn't expect that.

Anyone have suggestions for allowing the boat to back? Do I need the jib-I didn't have mine out? I've been able to do this with other boats, but the Getaway seems to be pretty lively even with the mainsail completely uncleated.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:12 am 
Site Admin

Be sure the main is completely un sheeted. Downhaul off. Get crew forward rudders up. Use the jib. The more you pull the clew forward (well ahead of 90 degrees) the more the boat turns away from the side you are on. Moving the clew a bit more aft has the opposite effect.

Try this is open water as a drill before you need it.

Jib sheets have to be totally slack or disconnect from the sheets . You have to get the clew well forward to steer harder. You may have to swap sides if you get turned too far. Only works near direct down wind. Once the main is exposed, it may start driving you forward. Round up and start again.

On a 16 I stand on the tip of the bow to get the transoms up. More forward the better for steering.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Be sure the main is completely un sheeted. Downhaul off. Get crew forward rudders up. Use the jib. The more you pull the clew forward (well ahead of 90 degrees) the more the boat turns away from the side you are on. Moving the clew a bit more aft has the opposite effect.

Try this is open water as a drill before you need it.

Thanks, rudders up? You sure? I'm not a control freak, but ...

Also, the jib clew is the one you are pulling forward? Won't that make the boat spin--maybe that's why the rudders need to be up, so all you get is leeway. OK, I'll try.

My other boats would back down with no jib and main unsheeted. Rudders were used to try to keep the mainsail luffing until you wanted to start sailing forward--when I tried that, the boat just started going forward (ie, couldn't keep the mainsail luffing). Lively boat!

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:39 am 
Site Admin

Steering when backing is difficult. The rudders want to turn hard over and with an inexperienced crew... problematic. I prefer rudders up until I am in clear water.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Steering when backing is difficult. The rudders want to turn hard over and with an inexperienced crew... problematic. I prefer rudders up until I am in clear water.

Thanks. I had the same trouble when I messed up a tack. Normally I would just back down with jib cross sheeted and use the rudder to steer until I can resheet the main and start going forward again (essentially hove to)...didn't work which is why I did a 270. Lots of lee shore and mud where I sail so I don't like to point toward the bad stuff (again) when I blow a tack...yah, I know, don't blow a tack; but stuff happens.

I do carry an engine, but so far, it has not proven to be very reliable to get me out of trouble which is why I'm taking pains to learn to do it with sails alone (with an occasional paddle). I did manage to start it after the sail, so maybe I can rely on it more. I had to cover it up while sailing otherwise it gets too wet (water in gas and/or wet electrical)...so it is not "immediately" available while out there.

I am loathe to take the boat out in mild conditions so far. The one time I did try that, the boat would not sail fast enough to go against the current (which is almost always 2 kts). So, practicing in clear water is going to be hard; but I am confident I'll get the hang of it eventually.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II