Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am about to purchase a Hobie Gateway for 750 dollars, but it needs some new parts and to be moved. I believe it a 2005, but I cant find the serial number to know for sure it maybe older. It’s currently in 2 ft of grass graveyard and hasn’t been used in 3 years. I sailed it a bit about 3 years ago and loved it. I blasted past a brand new J109 with its asymmetric spinnaker up crew trimming and all. I told the current own if they ever wanted to sell it to let me know.
Looking for advice
I need to move it and I have two choices currently. 1 is an unregistered trailer, while the tag is 2005 the seller wants to keep the trailer, but will let me use it. 2. Or a legal canoe trailer, which would mean I need to dissemble it. I need to drive it about 3 hours through Maryland and maybe Delaware depending which way I go.
I need to replace many of the parts. May first questions are their some pins and rings I should just buy to have on hand. The second is their some third party produces that’s I should avoid or look into. I don’t know of any one design fleets near the lower Chesapeake Bay, Scientist cliffs, so one design isn’t a consideration. After this years investment I plan to put around 500 dollars a year into it, until I need to a new mainsail.
Right away it needs
1. All new Lines and halyard
2. New Jib, still have the wire
3. Cam latch on the rudder locks
In the near future
1. New front Tramp which is already gone, its cut out so stays in are in place.
2. Main Tramp it has a small hole which will open up soon. I want to try to patch it to get this summer out of it.
3. The wing tramps are tattered
4. The downhall or halyard cleat is missing a horn.

Any advice is welcome. I am excited to breath some new life into this awesome boat.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you can clamp or bolt a couple of 8 ft cross bars onto the canoe trailer, I don't see why you could not use it to transport the Getaway in assembled state on a legal trailer. It's a long way to travel with unregistered trailer otherwise. Although dissassembly is not that hard.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The canoe trailer has a built in rack, so you can stack 4 canoes on each side.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hauled mine in an unregistered trailer from Malibu (S. Ca) to San Francisco (N. Ca)--about an 8 hour drive. My boat was disassembled when I got it. It was pretty easy to put it together. The boat weighs very little, so the suspension on the trailer will cause a lot of jouncing so tie it down and check it while on the road (mine had issues about every two hours due to bouncing around). It may have been easier to transport while assembled, but I didn't have that option; but now that it is assembled and on the trailer, it still bounces around a lot...there's no tongue weight hardly and the boat doesn't compress the springs on the trailer hardly at all. I suggest taking the unregistered trailer if it is designed to launch the boat while it is assembled. Mine was and I needed that option because I always launch ramp, never beach launch, YMMV.

It is good that you know what it needs, to find the hull number, it is etched in the stern of the two floats; you might need to add mud to fill in the white cracks.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Had a similar issue when purchasing our used Getaway two years ago. Trailer was unregistered and therefore no title to transfer. I transported boat from Annapolis to Virginia on the unregistered trailer. Seems to me much easier than disassembling.

On a related note, if you purchase the unregistered trailer it is a pain to get registered. Had to "disassemble" the trailer and rebuild it so I could claim it was "homemade." Then have a policeman come to house, inspect quickly, and sign the form. Then take form to DMV and get riveted plate to put on trailer.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, many of my trailers have been "homemade", from states that don't require titling them.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I towed my then new to me 14 from Missouri to Maryland then to North Carolina on an unregistered trailer without a tag! There are still a number of states which don't require titling or registration of small trailers. Usually law enforcement is less apt to notice those kind of things in areas without a plethora of trailers.
As far as the boat, so long as it's sound and in reasonable shape, it sounds well worth it even given the funds needed to bring it back to life. Used Getaways around here go for far more than what you'd put into it. 16's actually seem to be cheaper and more plentiful. Of course, no trailer is definitely a negative- you could possibly use that as a bargaining chip, too.

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased my Getaway from PA and used uship.com to have someone drive it down to me in NC. It was very inexpensive and the process was really smooth and several the bids I got were able to transport without a trailer.. would not hurt to throw the job out there and see what you get.

A less honest option would be to put the canoe tag on the trailer for the transport.