Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Near pitchpole
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

So I'm out sailing with my wife and 2 boys (age 14 and 7). Heading back to the boat launch at the end of the day on a wide reach. We were cruising along at maybe 10 or 12 knots. We hit the wake of a large cruiser and normally the boat would just cruise right through a wake at the speed we were going but because of the extra weight on the boat from 4 people (I'm used to sailing solo) and the distance between the waves, the second wave just came over the front cross bar and the weight of the water drove the front end down. Combine that with the forward momentum and the back end came up pretty high. Felt like maybe 45 degree angle bow down but was more likely closer to 30 degrees. Anyway, wife screamed and everyone else just held on. Luckily we recovered as the boat slowed down but in retrospect, I should have released the main sheet to relieve the forward momentum and moved back to shift the weight but it's never happened to me before and I just froze.

My wife decided after that to put on her lifejacket for the last 5 minutes of the trip. We make the kids wear one and I always do but my wife not so much. Now I think she will all the time. I have to mention my sons comment afterwards "That was awesome, can we do it again".

Now I know why Hobie uses the open mesh on the front tramp. I have since replaced the original due to age with a close weave like the main tramp. Had the front tramp been open mesh, the wave might not have submerged the bow. Also, open mesh probably better when capsized so the tramp doesn't act so much like a sail.

Keith

Last edited by KeithB on Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Near pitchpole
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:52 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Had the front tramp been open mesh, the wave might not have submerged the bow.

Yep...

I discovered that during trials. Down in Key Biscayne, FL. Large steep chop. High winds. Nearly went over... back to the drawing board and therefore the wide open weave.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I pitchpoled the Getaway with 5 people on it once. The winds were quite strong, and the hull started to dig in the water due to a weight and CG shift. Once the hull dug itself in, the stern lifted up, pivoted around the low hull and we capsized! I could believe we capsized with 3 people on the one side (the side that went in the air). Made me pay closer attention to where people sit on the hulls.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have had my Getaway since 2006 and have only pitchpoled it once. High winds, one inexperienced crew, broad reach, gust came along down wind bow went under the water and over she went. As a long time 16 sailor I was always watched the down wind bow like a hawk and as soon as it starter to get low in the water I would ease off the main. I thought the Getaway based on its design would be much harder to pitchpole so I was not so worried about the down wind bow......my mistake and have not pitchpoled since. The lesson with any sailing cat is to always be aware of how much free board you have on the down wind bow and manage it with easing out the main or blowing out immediately in high wind conditions.