Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any ideas on how to correct this. In 10 knots, I have a very strong weather helm on port tack only. Only a slight comfortable weather helm on starboard tack. Boat balanced with just two people sails in trim on a beat. I have been sailing for over 30 years and all boats have weather helm--this is just too much helm to be comfortable. Releasing the main does not help unless it is practically luffing. Rudders from 2008 boat do not seam to be adjustable. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

jrv wrote:
Any ideas on how to correct this. In 10 knots, I have a very strong weather helm on port tack only. Only a slight comfortable weather helm on starboard tack. Boat balanced with just two people sails in trim on a beat. I have been sailing for over 30 years and all boats have weather helm--this is just too much helm to be comfortable. Releasing the main does not help unless it is practically luffing. Rudders from 2008 boat do not seam to be adjustable. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Are you sure both rudders are locked down properly?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Of course both rudders on locked down. Both line up exactly when placed on top of each other. No Bends, warps, cracks, pieces missing etc. It is a very dramatic difference from one tack to the other.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If the rudders are locked down then it looks like you need to adjust the rake on one or both of your rudders. Rather than explain the process here read the assembly manual it goes thru the process.

2001 H18 w/SX wings & spinnaker #16740 (purchased new)
1989 H18 w/SX wings #14565 (purchased new, sold 2000)
Would buy another if Hobie would build it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The EZ-Lock rudder assembly on this model has no adjustment and nothing referenced in the manual. To adjust, one would have to file down the bottom of the housing where the rudder meets it to allow the bottom of the rudder to move forward. I imagine this would be only on the leeward rudder.

I am thinking that I should check to make sure the shrouds are the same length.

http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_asse ... manual.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had the same problem and found that the shape of the two rudders was very different. Take a straight edge lay it length wise starting in the center of the blade. Move it back and forth from the back of the rudder to the leading edge. Check the curvature between the two sides of the blade. Mine had a real concave section on one side of the blade on both rudders. I took some 60 grit sand paper to roughen up the area and filled it in with bondo. It took severa coats to get the shape the same on the two sides of the blade as well as a match between the two rudders. Clean up nice with some 120 sand paper and shoot some white plastic coat spay paint. After that the boat handled 100% better!

Good Luck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

+1.... Asymetrical foils.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Foils are identical on both sides. I also measured the distance between the center of the rudder to the bottom tip of hull/keel before it curves up and they are about the same. Any other ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

swap the rudders left to right and see what happens?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Are your shroud stays adjusted the same on each side? Did you make a hardware change on you rigging? One or two hole can make a difference in your mast position which can effect your helm....

Fleet 259 Central Coast California