Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mylar Sails
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is anyone making mylar sails for hobie cats, specifically the Getaway? How much of a performance difference would it make? I'm not worried about keeping the boat "original".

Post subject: Re: Mylar Sails
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm not sure 'performance' and 'Getaway' can be used in the same sentence. Don't get me wrong, its a great social sailing beach cat but if your after performance you should consider buying a H16/T2 as opposed to simply changing the sail material.
Yes mylar is faster but it's also more expensive and alot less durable. If money is no problem I personally would just purchase a new set of genuine Hobie sails.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roy wrote:
How much of a performance difference would it make?

It would make very little difference in performance. I would put a spinnaker on it before swapping out the mainsail. But really, if you're looking for a boost in performance, you'd be better off saving your money, selling the Getaway, and getting a higher end boat.

What you're talking about doing is akin to souping up the engine on a mini-van. Yea, it might give you a little boost in performance, but it's still a mini-van - better off just saving up and buying the Porsche.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks everyone for your input....I did some research into "plastic" sails and discovered that they all have similar problems with, de-lamination, and poor long term serviceability. As I am 65 at this point in my life I am not going to sell my Getaway and go buy a Tiger cus I want to go fast. As I sail 98% of the time solo, a spinnaker kit would be a mute point as then the boat would be too much to handle by myself. What I might try is to put a larger jib on the boat and find a way to mount two blocks farther aft. Sailing season is over for me now so I got the whole winter to work on it. I have several Dacron sails from my dads 60 ketch that went into the rocks and was lost that I could re-cut for a larger jib.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think a bigger jib may or may not work out. sheeting blocks would need repositioning.
I added a spinnaker to my getaway and single hand and am 66. I don't fly it above a certain
wind speed but it does add to performance.. you could also consider a roller furling screecher
that might be easier to handle, also work upwind to some extent and fly from a pole..doug