Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am perplexed that while the Cheats mount is listed in the Hobe catalog, why do the Hobie dealers not want to install one? Why doesn't Hobie provide a template or recommendation on installing the bracket. Does anyone have a template they've developed for installing one by chance? There is little to no information available on this install.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My dealer - Aquarius Sailboats in Pewaukee, WI - installed my Cheeta mount for me.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WahooWolfe wrote:
I am perplexed that while the Cheats mount is listed in the Hobe catalog, why do the Hobie dealers not want to install one? Why doesn't Hobie provide a template or recommendation on installing the bracket. Does anyone have a template they've developed for installing one by chance? There is little to no information available on this install.

http://cheatabrackets.com/page2.php

You can ignore much of this installation guide since 1) it is much simpler to offset the mount a few inches from centerline than deal with the mainsheet stuff. Motor works just as well one side or the other. 2) The mount on the Getaway cannot be rotated higher than the traveler track. In fact, it must be rotated a little off that so the support brackets don't interfere. So all the instructions about taking to the water and sitting on the tramp with the motor is so much bushwah!

This part is not a Hobie part, which might be why dealers are reluctant to do the install. The Cheata company owner is relatively close to you in Florida and he was most responsive to my request for assistance in installing the mount on my Getaway-even though I'm near San Francisco. You will need a high leverage pop rivet tool that you can get from Amazon for about $30. It is also useful for pop riveting elsewhere on your boat, so it isn't a total waste of time to get one.

I mounted mine about 8 inches off centerline. That gives you clearance for the mainsheet stuff. You can't mount it too high on the rear rail since you have to ensure that the traveler continues to function as designed. Other than those things, it is really not that hard to install. A few things I noticed after one season of use...the motor weight should be removed for trailering or some way of taking the weight off the mount should be found (I have a rear mast support, so that is what I support mine on). The other issue is that the flipper bar (aluminum) deforms over time-I probably will replace it with stainless next season. The pop rivets do work loose and I probably will replace them next season. No worries, though because the through bolt will definitely support everything even without the pop rivets-but inspect frequently. Finally, I use a heavy-ish Honda 2.3 and I am heavy-ish 200 pounds...so when I have crew and me and motoring, the motor head is nearly in the water...I replaced the provided mounting board with one about 4" taller and that helped some.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Also, the hinge for the flipper was aluminum and quickly bent, so I replaced it with a SS bolt and nut.
2 of the screws holding the bottom plate on fell out, so I locktited them all in.
With the bar cammed up, and the motor in normal drive position, my prop hits the water on heavy waves. I bungeed the arm flat, and tip up the motor for sailing.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dorienc wrote:
Also, the hinge for the flipper was aluminum and quickly bent, so I replaced it with a SS bolt and nut.

I asked the company owner about that-he sent me a replacement of stainless along with a couple more stainless pop rivets. So it must be a common flaw. The pop rivets are SS 3/16" diameter with 3/4" grip range. You really do need a high leverage rivet tool. The owner is a really nice fellow and makes these as a sideline-his real job is real estate. I drilled a little indent into the flipper so the set screw would set and not slide when you go to flip the thing. I mention this in case you have trouble with the aluminum block not moving when you try to flip it.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II