Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt, I imagine it would be rather rigorous to attempt to back a sail out of the track. But then again it wouldn't be the first time we had to drop and raise the mast to toy with something while underway. Is there a part number for a Hobie Getaway aluminum mast tip?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks CC. I appreciate the pointers very much. My assumption is that TackleShack did the sail work? I like the way they keep the sail color the same as original. If they did it, I'll have to check pricing with them as I would want the same, too. Hopefully, I will see you on the water somewhere. Any pointers you can share about going out of Ft. Desoto or other ramps in Clearwater, I would be grateful for your guidance.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:13 am 
Site Admin

dorienc wrote:
Matt, is there an aluminum reinforcement available for the comp tip on the Getaway? What's the part number? Thanks.

Used at the top of the mast on all similar luff track versions: 50404101 LUFF TRACK UPDATE (12.5")

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hmm, I'm confused. It looks like the 12.5" long aluminum section goes at the top of the mast, but if I lower the sail about 6' to reef it, it appears that aluminum luff track won't help hold the luff rope in place.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

WahooWolfe wrote:
Thanks CC. I appreciate the pointers very much. My assumption is that TackleShack did the sail work? I like the way they keep the sail color the same as original. If they did it, I'll have to check pricing with them as I would want the same, too. Hopefully, I will see you on the water somewhere. Any pointers you can share about going out of Ft. Desoto or other ramps in Clearwater, I would be grateful for your guidance.

Not sure where you sail out of usually, but we often load up our Getaway and sail out the Clearwater Pass about 30 miles to Fort Desoto for camping trips. We've also trailered the boat and launched from the numerous boat ramps at Fort Desoto. There are waterfront campsites that make it convenient to anchor the boat on the flats overnight and shove off for sailing during the day. I'll be more than happy to fill you in on local knowledge of the area.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just got my sail back from North Sails in Zenda (How cool that Melges is only an hour away. And it's cool to see high performance sailboats being made in the middle of the cornfields of Wisconsin!).
Jimmy did a beautiful job adding the reef points! I'll post a photo, I promise. Thanks for your photos, ClamCounter. It made it easy to show Jimmy what I wanted.
I got the 12" aluminum luff track like Matt suggested. Now I have to figure out how to cut the plastic one without damaging the comp tip.

On the subject of cleating the halyard vs using the mast tip hook, it occurred to me that I could measure the length of the reef, and tie a figure 8 knot into the halyard that distance down from the metal hooking piece. I'd put a small washer above the knot on the halyard, so the mast hook doesn't cut the knot. This would allow me to reef when I'm underway. What do you all think? Do you see any problems with this setup?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dorienc wrote:
I just got my sail back from North Sails in Zenda (How cool that Melges is only an hour away. And it's cool to see high performance sailboats being made in the middle of the cornfields of Wisconsin!).
Jimmy did a beautiful job adding the reef points! I'll post a photo, I promise. Thanks for your photos, ClamCounter. It made it easy to show Jimmy what I wanted.
I got the 12" aluminum luff track like Matt suggested. Now I have to figure out how to cut the plastic one without damaging the comp tip.

On the subject of cleating the halyard vs using the mast tip hook, it occurred to me that I could measure the length of the reef, and tie a figure 8 knot into the halyard that distance down from the metal hooking piece. I'd put a small washer above the knot on the halyard, so the mast hook doesn't cut the knot. This would allow me to reef when I'm underway. What do you all think? Do you see any problems with this setup?

Too bad you didn't have them install a sail slug at the top-then you wouldn't need the aluminum track (which I don't understand why you need it anyway unless you plan on installing it where the reef point will be-is that the plan?)

I don't think your plan of making a knot in the halyard will work simply because the resulting knot will be too bulky. I would suggest a stopper knot instead of a figure 8 because 8s tend to roll under load. Also, the washer will move unless you crimp it somehow over the knot.

I haven't had to reef yet. This is only my second season with the boat. With 2 on board we've been fine up to 25 kt winds. I only installed the reef points for the occasions when I'm solo in that sorts of wind, I don't foresee sailing in anything stronger if I can help it.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dang! I didn't think of a slug. Oh well.
Yes, I planned on installing the aluminum track at the bottom of the comp tip. I'm assuming that's where the top of the sail will be when it's reefed. I think I'll try it for a season or 2 to see if I need it before I install it.
Decided that adding a 6' long line between the halyard and sail will be easier and better. I decided I'd probably be reefing before we go out, not in the middle of a gale on the lake! 8-O
Yeah, I thought about a stopper knot too. I've never had a problem with an 8 rolling, (I use them a lot when climbing), but not in that application, so I can see what you mean.
I got the reefs added for when I'm sailing with my granddaughters, 3-1/2 and 7. Don't really want to dump them, at least not until they are a little older. And sometimes Lake Mendota where I usually sail gets some good gusts. If I'm on my own, I enjoy a good capsize! Tells me I'm still sailing hard!

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It isn't difficult to install sail slugs yourself-you will need an awl or handi stitcher. There are plenty of you tube videos to show it. Basically, cut away the luff tape next to the headboard grommet (where you attach the halyard shackle). Cut a little more of the rope inside than necessary and stitch the end so it doesn't fray. Leave a little gap so you can align both the slug and luff tape easily to hoist. Wrap a piece of poly tape (cloth strap) through the slug. Handistitch together-voila!

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I finally reefed yesterday; probably didn't really need to but I would rather practice in manageable winds. I didn't see any potential for the sail luff to pull out of the trak, but the winds were only in the upper teens at their windiest. I reefed before leaving the dock and it does take a little longer than just hoisting and going out since you have to furl up and tie off the bottom of the sail. I found that I may want to move the strap further forward (to in front of the I in Hobie) since the mainsheet is pulling more down than out. That left me with a bigger belly mainsail than I would have preferred, then again, I was sailing in some big chop (3-4 foot) and the extra power was welcome. Boat speed did not suffer much (typical for multihulls) speeds were in the 7-9 range to weather and about the same downwind. All in all, I am happy to have a reef point since I really don't want to go swimming in the waters I sail in. Here's a link to a video showing parts of the sail. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSmSYgycPxc

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I finally tried the reef out. Perfect. Great sail shape, depowered enough, but mostly I think getting rid of the sail up high helped with confidence and the feeling of imminent capsize. Winds were 15 knots or so, but with some pretty good gusts, didn't really need the reef, but wanted to try it. We had 4 people on board and it did "feel" like the boat was less stressed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Awesome! It is a great piece of mind to have, knowing you can reduce sail and take it easy if you like.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tpdavis473 wrote:
It isn't difficult to install sail slugs yourself-you will need an awl or handi stitcher. There are plenty of you tube videos to show it. Basically, cut away the luff tape next to the headboard grommet (where you attach the halyard shackle). Cut a little more of the rope inside than necessary and stitch the end so it doesn't fray. Leave a little gap so you can align both the slug and luff tape easily to hoist. Wrap a piece of poly tape (cloth strap) through the slug. Handistitch together-voila!

Hi, i realise this is an old thread, but any chance you could post a pic of the sail slug you have on your boat?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jezzaqld wrote:
tpdavis473 wrote:

Hi, i realise this is an old thread, but any chance you could post a pic of the sail slug you have on your boat?

This one ought to work for you

http://www.sailrite.com/Slug-Allslip-Round-5-16
CHeck your luff track though to see what diameter is better. Basically all you are doing is replacing the luff rope (which can pull out) with a plastic slug which cannot pull out. Just at the top mainsail grommet.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tpdavis473 wrote:
jezzaqld wrote:
tpdavis473 wrote:

This one ought to work for you

http://www.sailrite.com/Slug-Allslip-Round-5-16
CHeck your luff track though to see what diameter is better. Basically all you are doing is replacing the luff rope (which can pull out) with a plastic slug which cannot pull out. Just at the top mainsail grommet.

thank you.. will give it a shot