Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Forgive me for asking but I am a relatively new Getaway owner. Is it possible to reef the main on a Getaway? What do you do with the extra sail?

I appreciate the help. Pictures are much appreciated.

Kent

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Reefing requires the lower part of the sail to be rolled around a boom. The Getaway is typically boom less unless it too has a boom kit like the Wave/Bravo?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Also too Hobie nolonger adds reef points to their sails so you would need to take them to a sail maker for the reef points to be added

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There was a zippered reefing mainsail for the Getaway on Ebay last year. I think it was a prototype.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I did add reef points to my Getaway mainsail--I purchased matching color (close anyway) dacron to make the reinforcements. Added three grommets and 2 straps. The straps are for the new clew and new tack points. They are placed just above the second batten. The process is a little involved. You have to add a short (the same length as the reef) extension to the main halyard which you use to attach to the head. After hoisting to the reef and securing the halyard as normal, you roll up the sail around the batten and tie up with short lengths of line through the grommets. The mainsheet is attached at the rear strap and the cunningham attaches the tack strap. But then you are reefed and can go out to play in the mid 20s windspeeds sailing solo.

Hasn't been that useful so far since I spent most of the season sailing with crew and it hasn't been that windy this past year. But I was intimidated by the boat when I first got it because of that big float at the top of the mast and I didn't know how tippy to expect it to be. Be prepared has always been one of my mantra's.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

tpdavis473 wrote:
I did add reef points to my Getaway mainsail--I purchased matching color (close anyway) dacron to make the reinforcements. Added three grommets and 2 straps. The straps are for the new clew and new tack points. They are placed just above the second batten. The process is a little involved. You have to add a short (the same length as the reef) extension to the main halyard which you use to attach to the head. After hoisting to the reef and securing the halyard as normal, you roll up the sail around the batten and tie up with short lengths of line through the grommets. The mainsheet is attached at the rear strap and the cunningham attaches the tack strap. But then you are reefed and can go out to play in the mid 20s windspeeds sailing solo.

Hasn't been that useful so far since I spent most of the season sailing with crew and it hasn't been that windy this past year. But I was intimidated by the boat when I first got it because of that big float at the top of the mast and I didn't know how tippy to expect it to be. Be prepared has always been one of my mantra's.

If you could be so kind as to post some pictures, it would be much appreciated. I am trying to figure out the details further and I guess I am a visual person. It's much appreciated.

Kent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We took our Getaway to our local authorized Hobie dealer who had their independent sail maker add reef points. The sailmaker used material from another Hobie main to reinforce our new reef tack, clew and the three grommets for reef points.

Below is picture of our reefed main. Also you'll see an image of the reef points with the main fully open.

Hope this is helpful.

[img]http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r640/ClamCounter/195C7DFA-
[url=http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/ClamCounter/media/5fd0d735.jpg.html]Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, Kent would have had to wait some for me to get around to it since I have no photos with the reef in use.

Mine is just like that except I have two fewer grommets (the two at the tack and clew). I think my clew strap is maybe an inch closer to the "I" on Hobie... that puts it directly above the normal clew holes...I wanted to ensure that the mainsheet would be pulling down and out. I also keep the roll up straps in the on board storage instead of permanently affixing to the sail.

Do you use a halyard extension to reef so you can hook the halyard normally or do you just tie off on the mast cleat or did you get a new halyard with an additional swage? I figure that if I left the dock reefed, I'd have the luxury of rigging the halyard extension, but if I was forced to reef while on the water, I'd probably not do that since it would be pretty difficult with a rolling deck.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It's my pleasure.... We've been able to use the standard halyard as-is and cleated it off at the bottom.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

.... Now that you have your reef worked out, you'll have to consider entering the Everglades Challenge :).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ClamCounter wrote:
.... Now that you have your reef worked out, you'll have to consider entering the Everglades Challenge :).

Not much chance of that for me (live on west coast and :( am a fat old man). How have you done in the challenge over the years? I've been following a friend who participates in it in his Triak. Seems to me that finishing is the goal since it appears to be a pretty grueling trial.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Clamcounter, just watched the video on the 13 Challenge and see that you reefed the sail there. Interesting video. I have to purchase a bunch of gear to be compliant with the requirements of the Challenge. Looks like a grueling but fun adventure. Where are you out of, from, located, etc.? My assumption is Florida?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

I would add... that reefing on a Comptip mast is not recommended unless you add the aluminum sections as used on the Sport Cruiser. Heavy loads on the sail head can pull the luff rope / head out of the plastic track. There is no aluminum luff track section for a Hobie 16.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt, is there an aluminum reinforcement available for the comp tip on the Getaway? What's the part number?
Thanks.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wahoo wolf - The firsr year to enter is the most expensive as you aquire all the required gear. But the following years are much cheapier as you will already have all the required gear. It was easy for everyone to decide what to get is for xmas. :) Plus, most of this stuff is great to have on the water anyways (vhf, gps, epirb, rigging knife, flares, we now sail year round with our drysuits.) The electronics stay dry on board in one of these.

http://www.nrs.com/product/3059/nrs-bou ... ng-dry-box

We sail out of Clearwater, Fl.

Last edited by ClamCounter on Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.