Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That is the hope - that I will only use it when no wind. I still have the gas motor but will use the electric this season and see how it goes. Next spring I will sell one of the motors.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here are some pictures from Friday. Decent wind but ended up using the motor to get into the launch (about 100-200 yards). Went out again on Sunday - not much wind but relaxed and drifted slowly about for a couple hrs. Had to use the motor to get back but luckily was only about a half mile out due to the lack of wind all day. Spent the time motoring disassembling the spinnaker rigging. Even the spin was of no use, just dangling there blocking my view forward.

So the motor is working out. Just have to get used to the lack of power I was accustomed to. Still want to find a better, less awkward, way to mount when not in use. Looks goofy the way I have it now, slightly tilted but mostly upright. Tilting forward more in the up position (like in the pictures) interferes with the mainsail and since all the weight is in the prop end, tilting in the lowered position puts a lot of torque and stress on the mount, rear crossbar, and tilting mechanism.

Pics here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BVkvXYaABegWF8Hp6

Last edited by KeithB on Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Glad to hear the motor is useful, I am still thinking about adding an electric motor to my getaway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Still happy enough with the electric motor? I'm still thinking about it, had some nice lake sailing yesterday, except when the wind died and was at the mercy of wind gods....
BTW, I wasn't able to see the google pictures. If you have one that shows the motor can you post again or pm, if convenient.
thanks, Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Actually I just sold my boat. The buyer did not want the motor since he already had one. If you are still thinking about buying one, I am selling mine with battery and charger. Only used 1 season. Minnkota 55 lbs thrust with 35 Amp.hr battery. Fits nicely inside one of the coolers upright and takes up only half the cooler space. $400 for everything.

Also still have my 2hp Honda 4 stroke for sale. Needs a tune up. Also asking $400.

Also, I think I fixed the link to google photo album a couple posts back. Should work now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

that's interesting, yes I can see the pictures now, nice install. I'll send you a PM about the motors, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We used our 30 lbs trolling motor this weekend. Inland lake, no currents. Pushed the boat around fine, but not fast. We only used it to get to and from the dock and the boat ramp. Wind was around 10 MPH.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

that's encouraging, even with 30 lbs. Great.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I did try out a 55 lb thrust motor over the past several days. It works! Wanted to be able to get in and out of a busy harbor, and it worked ok. Not moving as fast as a gas outboard but seems like 3 - 5 mph speed. Was able to enter harbor with a 7 mph head wind and tide flowing against me with a speed judged against bouy of 3 mph or so. Also used another day when wind died down. I used a 35 AH battery with motor at full speed for maybe 25 minutes and motor was still indicating at least 75% charge left, if the indicators are accurate.
So I like it so far.