Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailer Wheel Bearings
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

It has always been my understanding that "Bearing Buddies" or caps with grease fittings on them were a good idea to keep grease in the bearings and to keep water out when submerging the axle while launching and retrieving. But I just read an article in The Family Handyman that states "this method fills the axle/spindle area with grease, which should remain dry". Unfortunately the article doesn't explain why the area should remain dry.

Are there any mechanic types out there who have non-anecdotal information on this subject?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A properly installed set of BB's on well maintained hubs with freshly packed bearings will do a pretty good job of keeping water out of the hubs provided an extra amount of grease is then topped off to incur additional air pressure within the hub via the zirk fitting. Keep an eye on the inner PLATE as you inject the final amount of grease and fill only to the point when a small amount of lubricant comes out
of the tiny relief hole on the BB. You really should repack the bearings on a year. Just my two cents,
Ray