Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There was a hobie 21 in the EC last year with a pedal prop system, 2 peddlers, the prop was about 16" dia. Clever system
FE

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This pedal drive might work on the hobie cat. It could be mounted to the cross bar just behind the mast and its retracting shaft could slide between the laces where the two main trampolines meet about a foot behind the mast.

This option could be great for manuvering around marinas, docks, upwind or through mangrove lined channels.

I'd be curious how fast one of these could propel a Getaway with two on board?

https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... NMQ-rYBCAQ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ClamCounter wrote:
This pedal drive might work on the hobie cat.
I'd be curious how fast one of these could propel a Getaway with two on board?

Two people probably could put out 1 hp for a short while; 2 hp in a sprint. 2 hp can drive a Getaway around 4 kts with no wind or waves. https://www.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQuesti ... n_my_legs/

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So how about the eclipse drive off the stern? Somesort of handle dohicky that locks into the rudder crossbar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good idea with the bike pedal to wattage conversion as a bench mark. Usually, we'e able to paddle the boat 1mph on average and up to 2-3mph in a sprint. I'm hoping to utilize any propulsion method thats more efficient than paddling and gets us moving greater than 1 mph through mangrove lined passes and sustainable for a few hours when the wind dies during our 300 mile Everglades Challenge.

The eclipse drive idea opens up some options.... it seems to eliminate the need for a seat. I'm thinking if its stern mounted it would need to be positioned in the center of the rear cross bar, so it doesnt hinder the rudder cross bar. I'm curious if mounting it just in front of the wing seats along the out side of the hull would work. Typically we have person steering while seated aft and another paddling from the front leading edge of the wing seat or sometimes seated on the hull in front of the midships crossbar and there isnt much of a tracking issue. Im thinking a mount/brace for pedal drive could be secured to the side of the hull without drilling into it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Personally I would just figure out a way to mount a Torqeedo 403 to a getaway. Using the swing down ball mount. Think about it the application is totally different on a getaway or an H16 than it would be on an adventure type boat (we have a TI). On an adventure boat if the wind dies and your in irons you just pedal home. On a getaway or H16 paddling a couple miles is no fun, (the wind dying completely around here is pretty common in late afternoon).
By the time you design a swing down motor mount for the eclipse stair stepper drive and all the hassle of designing and building it my personal feeling is your further ahead just getting the torqeedo. The whole works weighs around 15lbs including the battery, which you can lash down almost anywhere handy, and with the remote throttle you can control the motor from wherever you happen to be sitting.
One place we like to stay near key west is blue water resort which has canals and docks behind the camp sites, this is fine with our adventure because we can pedal the mile or so thru the canal out to open water, but would be a royal PIA with a getaway or H16, same as Adams causeway in Key Largo (you would need to also drop the mast there).
An even slicker setup would be twin torqeedos with swing up ball mounts (one on each hull), you could probably spin the boat around on a dime ( just like cruise ships), would be super cool but really expensive.
If I had a getaway, that's the setup I would have, completely removable for when you don't need it. Everything is completely waterproof, (a big plus).
The only perminant pieces on the boat would be the two ball mounts on the hull, if you sell the boat later on, just throw a couple rod holders on the balls and say they are for fishing (lol).
And if you also happen to have an adventure boat, you can use the same motors on both boats, just hang on the boat you are using tha day.
Just some ideas that's all
FE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FE, The issue is that the boat has to be human or sail powered in the EC. I think he's already put a Torqeedo on his boat for a while, but then the EC changed the rules.

CC, I still think the best thing would be to buy one or two eclipses pedalboards and just attach them to the wings when not in use...when you need them, get off the Getaway and on board the pedalboards and start pumpin. Probably not a whole lot heavier (if at all) than doing boat mods for one race a year. Of course, once you do it, the EC committee will ban them.

Do you know what Randy Smyth does when he hits those spots or is his boat magic and able to sail with no wind?

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah the more i think about it (and look at getaway pictures). A eclipse drive off the stern would be hard. The tramp doesn't sit as high off the water as i thought.

So i would either mount a pipe ff the stern that the handle for the eclipse to fit through and slide the handle through to the board and push the cat.

Or back to making like an outboard mount that folds down, you sit on the rear x-bar and plug in a mirage drive. You would have to engineer the rudder control to give clearance.

Double or (and the best/hardest solution) take a plastic spine board, cut the top off an broken Hobie yak, or maybe even a fiberless race car seat and fab up a seat that mounts about mid back to the rear X-bar and some sort of mount to the front x-bar with a mirage drive somewhere in there. It makes sense in my head but i am having a hard time explaining. Maybe i can cad something up...

Or super easy- take the tramp off strap a Sport or maybe a revo and make it a tri-hull. You can put 2 little tramps on either side. (Matt, Hobie has to have tried this right?).

I am thinking about finding and old set of hulls to try this. I have 4 drives it could be interesting. Anyone in the VA area have a cheap H14/16 sitting around you want to donate ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd have to agree, one of the best placement options involves puting the drive somewhere in the middle of the boat in the main tramp area. This option would not only allow the rest of the Getaways systems (rudders, mainsheet, travel car, etc) to be unhindered but also provide a great balancing point in the boat for one to be stationary. About 80% of the 300 mile EC involves the crew sitting on the main tramp's centerline laces while skipper sits on the wings as this weight distribution seems to provide optimal performance in average conditions. So if we needed to "pedal sail" and the pedal-er was in the center of the tramp then that placement would be great! ........ This could get really easy if the drive could simply be inserted between the main tramp laces and mounted to some type of light weight metal cross bar along the main tramp. ..... The only challenge I see here would be the length of the mirage drive shafts (I dont know how long they are above their mounting point, but I know a tight main tramp sits 20" above the water line.). So the only challenge would be can a lowering/raising mechanism made of light weight medal be attached to a cross bar to operate a drive between the main tramps laces? What type of mechanism? Because I'm assuming the mirage drives mounting point would need to be lowered from the main trampoline down to the water line in order for the drive to function properly. Do the mirage drive shafts extend/elongate?

Yes! It seems Randy sails directly upwind, lol. He is increible. Seriously, though his vessel's sail area to weight ratio is comparable to putting a tornado rig on a carbonfiber AI. If you look at his Track on thr EC site, his rig has so much power it allows him to sail over a few inches of water and shoulder high muck/silt in the EC shaving miles off the winding pass through the Florida Bay Everglades National Park. I think he just has a paddle for marinas.

We've had a torqueedo 1003 for several years and it is great! But we've never used it in the EC and we'd have to remove ourselves from the "Hobie Cat" class and enter the "class 6" electric boat class to use it. I feel it would be way cooler to finish the race in a Hobie Cat human powered by a Hobie Mirage drive than to enter as a class 6 electric boat. Plus, it's just time, the Hobie Cat is ripe for a Mirage drive marriage! :) We're all ears Matt Miller. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know it is salt water marsh, so you don't want to stand in the stuff...but maybe those ginormous flippers you saw on Michael Phelps when he was being chased by the Great White (really, they weren't even in the water together!). Certainly is a cheap solution, just lower a bar to hang onto and flip away pushing the boat. https://www.coconuttreedivers.com/blog/ ... g-top-tips

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thom, that is genius! The point is to move the boat, and that's probably the best combination of efficiency, low impact on boat systems, low cost, and simplicity.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I haven't had to go through those marshes, so it might not work out...but it would be really easy to add a little bar to the existing cheeta mount that extends a few inches into the water, rest your front body weight on it to keep head above the water and churn away. Would not want to do it in the R2AK but in FL temps, might work out OK.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II