Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone tried to retrofit a mirage drive to a Hobie Getaway or any of the other Hobie Cats? This would be a great option for getting to and from launching areas to open water where the wind is stronger. It would be excellent if Hobie had a kit for this. Does anyone have a pictures of their set up?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Given the seating position needed for the mirage drive to work and that its affixed to a hull to be in close contact with the water i'm not seeing how this concept would work. Don't get me wrong "where there is a will, there is a way" but that's what learning to depowering your rig is for, finding an alternative launch point or just not sailing in strong conditions.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:29 am 
Site Admin

Certainly something we have thought a lot about. The mount vs seat is the tough part.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone found a way to retrofit a mirage drive on their Hobie Cat yet?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Anyone?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think this one is still eluding Hobie engineers.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A few yrs ago I helped a guy on this forum concept out a way to mount a mirage drive on either an H16 or a getaway (or any hobie cat for that matter). I have no idea where that post is now, I'm pretty sure it never got built.
Basically one of the concepts was a swing down mount similar to a cheeta motor mount, the only difference being a mirage drive mounted on the end instead of a motor mount. You would sit backwards and pedal the mirage drive in thru harbors and such (likely only slightly better than paddling), all steering is via the standard rudders. Rigidity would be provided via spectra string lines ran to the rudder gudgeons. The only down side being a mirage drive is more expensive than a gas motor. Most cat owners choose their launch points so they shouldn't need a motor, just sayin, that's why sailing clubs are so popular, for a few hundred bucks a year, you can store the boat (mast up), and launch and retrieve all you like without needing motors, (most small small sailboats have the same dilemma, ( probably why they are called beach cats).
I also concepted out for him dual swing down mirage drives attach to the rear pylons with spectra strings connecting the units together via pulleys. In this case you would sit sideways on the tramp and pedal the pedal and it would operate both the mirage drives, just so happens the pedal arms ended up looking identical to the new eclipse pedal arms (bent 90 degrees, nice cooincidence).
The third option was a swing down stand up stair stepper setup just like the new eclipse. The plate where the mirage drive mounts would be suspended via 4 spectra strings hooked to the rear pylons, and eyelets added to the rear rudder gudgeon plates, forming a big X with the platform hovering just above the water. Basically you just stand up and pedal like a stair stepper using the main rudder for steering. When not using you just bungy the unit to one side or the other.
Would have required the construction of new 90 degree pedal arms, however now the eclipse drive is out there, this whole setup would be a no brainer to add to any hobie cat (even the wave).
On the design I showed the guy, I used a 3/8 thick alum plate (I think it was 12" wide x 15" or so long) with the center waterjet cut out for the opening, the end tangs of the drive sat on top of the plate. 1" x 2" alum riser blocks (height to be determined) would fit around the 1/2" stainless rods sticking out each end of the mirage unit. I just had simple alum caps screwed down to hold the mirage unit down with screws.
That design was really cool because it didn't require anything attached to the boat itself (besides the eyelets mounted to the rudder gudgeons). The alum plate weighs 5 lbs but could be replaced with a composite plate (2-3 lbs). The 1000 lb test spectra (TI rudder line) costs like $.30 cents a foot and weighs nothing. The wood planks and hinges ( the stair stepper part) shouldn't weigh more than a couple pounds.
This was all around 4 yrs ago, what we didn't know at the time was if the mirage drive could hold up to these new stresses, I guess the new eclipse drive answers that question (identical design).
Hope this gives you some ideas
FE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for presenting a few ideas!! To me it seems the idea of being able to lean with back against the wing seats while pedaling via a system of pulleys to a swing down set of mirage drives sounds the most optimal.

My theories are that there would need to be some sort of back support to get decent leverage on the pedals.

If pedaling with back against the wing seats, the feet would be somewhere near the main tramp laces.... So near the laces would be some sort of pedals with pulleys and lines to the mirage drives... What type of material/platform would be used to house the pedals/pulleys and rest where the laces are?

The last big question is.... Will one mirage drive be enough to propel a 400lb getaway with 3 sailers on board? Or would two mirage drives be necessary?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Someone out there has to have tried this by now on a Hobie cat.

This picture below shows a mirage drive fitted on a monohull.

Looking forward to seeing what the brilliant minds at Hobie end up designing to fit these on the cats.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ClamCounter wrote:

The last big question is.... Will one mirage drive be enough to propel a 400lb getaway with 3 sailers on board? Or would two mirage drives be necessary?

http://www.currentdrives.com/

I think you'll need 2 at a minimum. Given the additional weight and complexity, you might consider two paddlers and a small helper motor for the EC where you have to go directly upwind to get out.

I think 2 because of the video of one mirage drive versus two paddlers in the pool; plus my experience with my getaway trying to go against an 11 kt headwind with 2 of us paddling. We could do it, but barely (about 50 yards a minute).

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cool electric drive on that link. It's interesting to watch the evolution of these things for small boats, microcruisers etc.

We currently have a torqueedo Travel 1003 and it's low maintence along with it's reliability has been game changing for us. It's nice to know this thing will always start at the push of a button, no fowling, flooding, etc. Only thing is, if brought along during the EC it was push is out of the "Hobie Cat" class and into another class specifically for electric/solar powered vessels.

If we were to add Mirage drives we would still be considered a man powered vessel and could remain in our Hobie cat class.

The option I've seen so far would be to add two motor mount brackets on the back crossbar similair to the design (I think Keith B made. The mirage drives could attach there. This would put the peddler(s) near the tiller cross bar for steering. Also, the aft mounted drives would shield the peddler(s) from waves/splash etc for those horrendous upwind up current dig out moments.

Two drives would be oustanding. Any number of mirage drives would be more efficient than two paddlers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gondola oars have always intrigued me. You rarely see them propelling anything except gondolas, but I've often wondered whether they are more or less efficient than paddles.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another idle thought...why not just carry a tandem kayak (you have lots of room on a getaway) equipped with mirage drive or two single kayaks hung from the getaway seats-when needed, lower and pedal away!

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, I am still fascinated by them. Those Yuloh's seem to have huge surface area...kinda makes you travel through the water with a shark like action. I suspect the "oar lock" has to be substantial, though. Would like to see a Yuloh vs mirage drive video...:)

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was at my local kayak shop the other day. They don't sell Hobie kayaks, but they have several kayaks that have a pedal driven propeller system. I think that would be easier to adapt to a sailboat as a kicker than the Mirage drive.

Too many canoes and kayaks