Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Racing a Getaway?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes!

I have to share/brag a bit. I have Getaway #5065 with the wings/seats single trapeze and a Hobie 16 Spinnaker. After the adjustments for extra beam (seats), trap, and spin the Getaway gets a PHRF handicap of 140. I sail the Getaway in Mexico and today was the first race of the Banderas Bay Regatta. We sailed against two Trimarans; a F9 and a Corsair 31 that carry 48 handicaps. We managed to correct out in first place!

The Getaway goes upwind like a square rigger. No 90 degree tacks. Put the bow down and sail fast not high. We actually gained on the tris on the reaches. The breeze and waves were up for the second windward/leeward. The Getaway just stops in waves like that. It is faster to wear ship (gybe through 270) than miss tacks in those conditions.

I turned 64 today and my crew is 67. We had a good day and we beat the tris. I can't be happier with the Getaway. Wet wild and happy! Fast is fun!

Thanks Hobie!

Randy

-2013 H16 #1`13780
-2014 Getaway w/wings,spinnaker,& trapeze

Post subject: Re: Racing a Getaway?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Congrats! Yes the Getaway is faster than people think and is labled as a slug by people who have never sailed one. I raced at a local club here in central fl . Winds were 8 to 15 mpg. Many were surprised on the speed we were able to maintain with 2 up. In fact , after correction we placed 1st twice and 2nd once. I was considering adding a H16 to my fleet but now I may just put the money into a spinnaker for the getaway! (My Fleet, LOL)

Post subject: Re: Racing a Getaway?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Racing a getaway is definitely better than most people realise. Ive been racing mine for years now with some great success stories. I sail my boat without wings and front tramp and use single trap while crew hikes, the speed difference without the wings is phenomenal! The extreme buoyancy of the hulls in big seas is a great advantage over older cats which seem to bury in each wave while the getaway just flies over the top. Once the wind hits 20+ knots the getaway really comes alive... The australian schrs vyc yardstick is around 85 that i use. Good luck with the racing, try without the wings sometime.. Tasmania's only getaway sailor.