Return to Hobie.com

Hobie Forums

It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I could never get my head around drilling more holes in the rear crossbar or in the hulls, so I had a good think about another way to do it.
So about 4m of 38mm x3mm 316 stainless steel tube and some 2mm x 40mm flat bar, this is what I came up with...

2mmx40mm SS flat bar drilled to match existing rudder mount holes. MAKE SURE YOU PUT SCREWS BACK IN WITH LOCTITE!

Note that this mounting plate is not vertical. I tilted it back so that the motor would drive the rear of the boat up a little under power. I still need to get some caps for the tubes (although these may prove useful for a "boom" tent)

I bought longer bolts to allow for the plate and nylon washer

Then I built a deck over the framework - held on with saddle brackets

Added a rubber V-block for the mast while trailering

I left 2mm gaps between deck slats to allow straps to go through - useful for tying down extra fuel tanks and coolers. As long as these items are tied down at the back of the deck they shouldn't interfere with the tiller bar.

Ready to go.

I have used the boat with this mount prior to adding the deck. Under power it works very well. Under sail, with the motor raised, in flat water it is perfect, but you have to play with your position in the boat a bit when it gets very choppy to stop the mount and rear bar catching the water and spraying the motor (only a little bit). I think the deck should keep the motor drier.

Last edited by Nolipoli on Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great idea Robert on the new design. I did not need mine to tilt up any further as my honda tilts up plenty to clear the water. Also, I think you were able to shorten your support arm only because of your motor head being much smaller so it doesn't interfere with the tiller.

Keith

Used parts for sale. All original from 2002 Getaway. All showing their age but functional. Just pay shipping.
- Main and jib ---- SOLD.
- Main trampoline
- Wing seat covers
- shrouds

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6