Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Aloha, so i just ordered all the parts, unfortunately its more expensive to ship to HI than for the parts, so the family is bringing from the mainland, but im super stoaked to put this bizzywho together. What engine are you using please? Also many mahalos for posting the build/parts.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think most are running the honda 2.3, some the torqeedo. I recently switched to the epropulsion. So far so good, zero noise. It allows me to mount the battery & controller near the wing seats. Less weight hanging off the motor mount & I shortened up the mount arm from 24" to 16".
I will try to get some pics up when I get a chance.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok I bought all the hardware, quick question, short or long shaft outboard ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

THIS THREAD is the greatest thing!
I've ordered the stock. I made a few modification, but for the most part it's the same. 150 all black-anodized parts shipped to Michigan. (black is worth the extra 20 dollars in material)

First: A big thank you KeithB (May whatever non-sailing adventures you've been up to be 100% amazing at all times!)
A slightly smaller, but still big thank you to Weekendwarrior's Variations (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 6jKCsiDahs) which helped me get some good dimensions based on your extensive photos. I'll be using Weekendwarrior's Crossbar mount with KeithB's original fixed Strut.

I've got a 55lb-thrust Trolling motor on the way, a 35Ah LiFEPO4, and ample gauge wiring on the way. I only need to move the boat 0.5 miles out of a channel to get to open water, so the 36Ah pack should be more than adequate for my powered sailing. 55lbs because I'll be maneuvering near massive powerboats coming in and out of the channel, and want to be able to keep up (and exceed) their no-wake speeds, rather than pegging it at at 35lb-thrust motor,and hoping the 38ft Bayliner Skipper can see me from his 3rd floor flybridge. I can always buy a second battery if more range is needed.

Thanks to the bolt-together, reconfigurable nature of this mount I can make adjustments to make it all work in the end.

A few thoughts, which the reconfigurability will allow me to solve:
1) I'm worried about the 'Tiller Arch' when the motor is folded flat, and rudders are lock-to-lock. Hopefully this is just a non-issue.
2) I'm worried that with motor folded, there will be no easy way to raise the rudders without making the prop stick wayyy-out the rear.
3) I'm planning to explore mounting the motor sideways on the motor strut and then vectoring the motor aft, to propel the boat forward. This means the motor swings sideways to horizontal, at level with the rear crossbar and remains 100% clear of interference, while also being above the waterline. (and a bonus benefit, being able to clear and service the propeller from the tramp- or at least the rear of the Hull.

Anyway, I'll share a google drive's worth of photos to this thread when I'm done. :D :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Successfully built the motor mount. 55lb-thrust Newport Vessel, with a 35Wh LiFePO4 nearby. works AMAZING!

The cost of the struts was 160 shipped to me. The additional hardware was another 50 dollars. The rear crossbar alone was 50 dollars (I had it laying around from a previous project)

Two things:
1) I needed to use a Dremel to cut some of the bolts I bought at HomeDepot to the right size. Oh, well.
2) I needed a rear-crossbar addition to support the new weight. I didn't want to make a rear-swim deck, so I went lightweight. Lucky for me, I found Menards has aluminum 1.5" diameter pipes and make a rear-cross bar to hold the weight of the motor. This is a VERY good improvement to the original designs. Link to Menards: (https://www.menards.com/main/tools/hand ... c-8954.htm) (Kraft Tool Co.® 6' Swaged Button Bull Float Extension Handle) It's Cement bull float extension pole, anodized blue. I bought two, JB-welded the two together.

Suggestions: If planning to add a rear-crossbar to support the motor weight, some of the strut parts can be exempted, as they aren't needed to support the motor weight. probably could save 20 dollars. barely worth the cost savings, so might as well go all-out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How is the motor mount working now? I’m looking to put one on my Getaway and would love either a used one (or new!) or plans to put one together like the one you designed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sailchuck wrote:
How is the motor mount working now? I’m looking to put one on my Getaway and would love either a used one (or new!) or plans to put one together like the one you designed.

I switched from the Cheata mount to KeithB's design a few years ago, and it works pretty great. I added the cross bar which provides some more support and eliminates torque twist.
I had my Torqeedo motor bracket crack from bouncing with the motor set in the UP position. Cost about $100 to repair. I made a rubber plug to soften the shock. I'll try to load photos of it.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All,
1st Thank you to KiethB & Weekendwarrior! I have compiled a Bill of Material(BOM) to help anyone else who want's to copy Weekendwarrior's design. I am also using a Torqeedo.
Cheers,
Chad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That mount and Torqueeto look really good.
Is it fairly easy to raise and lower the motor?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jeff05 wrote:
That mount and Torqueeto look really good.
Is it fairly easy to raise and lower the motor?

Yup. On mine, I have a strap to hold the motor sideways because of the weight of the battery. Plus I have the rubber plug to protect the motor mount.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks good!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8