Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks John - that is how I have been doing it. Jason's post said I should center the traveler, but doing that wouldn't allow for correct trim of the main sail.

Matt - do you know if a Getaway mast base will fit into a 1980's H16 mast? If not, I will probably need to change the mast step on my boat. I would rather change the mast to the Getaway style if possible - I like it a little better than the H16 style. Also, If I changed the mast step on my boat to H16, I think I would still need to change the mast base because I think Hobie has updated the H16 mast base/step since the 80's.

Thanks,
David

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

ok, in case anyone else is interested in this "upgrade", I was successful at replacing my getaway mast with an old H16 mast. I ended up cutting about 8 inches off the bottom of the H16 mast so that I could use all of my getaway rigging. I now have a one piece mast - no comp tip. This was also cheaper than replacing the broken comp tip.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, good to know the option is there. There are hundreds of 16 masts out there.

Just curious, why did you cut off the bottom instead of moving the hound? Granted, the normal height mast is more forgiving, but without the need to hook the halyard, you could hoist higher on the light wind days.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John Lunn wrote:
The 'trick' with spinnakers is to let the mainsheet act as a backstay, so that the mast does not get pulled forward, which might lead to the mast snapping or bending.
The traveler should be set as close or as wide as wind conditions permit.
You don't have to centre the traveler.....the traveler acts as your 'relief valve' to reduce pressure on the main.
Hope this helps.

I don't agree about using mainsheet as backstay. You want the mast to lean forward, that gives the spinnaker more camber and allows running deeper. You trim the mainsail for the wind just like always--outside telltales flowing.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Al of the cat sailors at our club (Tornado, NACRA, Capricorn, F16, Inter 20 and myself on a Hobie 18SX) use the mainsheet as a backstay.
A sudden gust can snap or bend the mast on any catamaran while running under spinnaker.
The same applies if you hit a trough or a wave.....

In comparison, the Getaway is underpowered, so the effect may not be as direct as on other cats.
How often does the Getaway hit 20 knots of boat speed under spin?

What have others experienced?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You have to consider the apparent wind...with a really fast boat under spinnaker, the apparent wind makes it look like a close reach, so you trim the mainsail in--you aren't using the mainsheet like a backstay, you are just trimming the mainsail correctly for the apparent wind. The slower the boat (or the lighter the breeze), the more loose you trim the mainsail. Has nothing to do with being a backstay.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your pint is well taken, and I understand, however, you may wish to see the broken masts at our club...

When the wind is gentle, and the conditions are reasonable, yes, you can trim using the main.
Once the wind rises, especially if there is chop or swell, new and more stringent dynamics come into play.

Let me ask again, how many times have you known of a Getaway hitting 20 knots under spin?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't be silly. Getaway's are too heavy to go that fast. If you guys are breaking masts, perhaps you should consider that the masts are underengineered...thin walled aluminum some without spreaders--you are jerking them around at the hounds. You could get a heavier section, but then you won't win races. Of course, you won't win races if you are using the mainsheet like a backstay either.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I could go on about how all those boats have spreaders and are well engineered, but I won't.
Enjoy your sailing and your spinnaker, and may Bill Murray's Cubs win the World Series.

later

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Again I see this sad state of affairs from other boat designs where the recommendation for trim, traveler, sheeting angles is based upon saving an inadequately designed rig rather than maximising performance

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Who doesn't like a little dead thread revival?

My Getaway took a beating in a freak windstorm while sitting on the trailer. I need a new lower mast and comp tip.

I have not found a dealer with an available replacement. Everything is on backorder with no date of delivery.

So alternatives. I read the H16 can work with modifications. Can a H17SE mast work? Any others?

Maybe an all carbon spar? Have no idea how to source that! I'm in south central Indiana.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I modded a 16 mast for my Getaway. I cut 8" off the bottom and 5 5/8" off the top and mounted the Getaway fittings top and bottom. Worked great with the stock Getaway shrouds. (Do this mod at your own risk.) Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Was that with an all-aluminum mast or did you cut down the comptip off the 2-piece?

Just curious; seems like a reasonable solution if you just can't spend the extra $$ for brand new mast...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tpdavis473 wrote:
Don't be silly. Getaway's are too heavy to go that fast.

I missed this first time around. Maybe not 20MPH under the spinnaker (I don't know), but it will certainly do 20MPH. I have sailed with some friends on their 16s on multiple occasions, and in medium to heavy winds, the Getaway is as fast or faster, especially when the 16s are sheeting out to keep from capsizing.
On at least one occasion, we were on a beam reach down a 7 mile long lake, and one of the guys GPS showed we had exceeded 20MPH for the entire reach.

Too many canoes and kayaks