Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Has anyone purchased a 2017 model? Reports?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tasmania's only Hobie Getaway sailor has a good point. The seabreeze sail colors are probably the best hobie has ever made in my humble opinion. A 2017 Hobie Getaway with a Seabreaze color scheme would look rather stellar.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Where I sail, it isn't very likely that the new boat would be much better than the one I have; certainly not enough difference that I'd want to trade in. I agree with ClamCounter, the seabreeze sail suite is both pretty and performs very well on the Getaway platform.

As an aside, I've just finished adding a furling screacher to my sail suite. I did it as a crosscut sail with blue corner reinforcements (I'll post a video once I use it-probably next weekend). I expect to use it mostly in winter when I'll use it more for upwind than anything else. It tacks on a bridle using the same fittings as the jib, it is masthead and sheets to the rear crossbeam. 100 sq feet ought to give the boat more horsepower when the wind is light. Might be useful on a close or broad reach when the wind is from the right direction, but for downwind, I'll stick to my symspin (but have to lower and stow the screacher (can't have everything).

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The screacher sounds awesome. Looking forward to seeing pictures of this, particularly how and where exactly the tang will be placed on the mast. I'd be curious to see what maximum conditions this will handle compared to the spin. Generally, there are about 3 things I monitor to decide if the conditions are too much and it's time to dump the spin. 1) Is the mast bending too much, even with he main sheeted in and cleated (ofcourse.) 2) Is the spin starting to flog becuse the main and jib are starting to outsail the spin. 3). Are we hitting 14mph? Because it gets reeeeal harry when we start creeping up on 14mph with the spin.

Cool idea, I've toy'd with the idea of adding a code zero type sail to the Getaway too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unfortunately, have to wait a little longer for the screacher sea trial. Crew bailed for this weekend so I'll single hand my triak instead as long as the weather forecast holds (here in N. CA, we're having a wet winter).

I designed the sail with a leach HOLLOW instead of a leach round like on a code zero--I also designed only 12% camber so it should work well to weather. Think of it as a genoa or #2 jib but much lighter fabric (Looks and feels like spinnaker material but is non stretch because it is polyester). This "should" keep the Center of Effort lower and make the boat less tippy since there is very little fabric high up like on a well designed spin or code zero. I made a quick bracket that screws onto the mast ball/top sheave using the existing screws so I didn't have to mess with a mast hound on the comp tip.

Since you have a sprit, I'd recommend adding another hound under your spin hound (only about 8" or so) and add another Eyestrap on the sprit about the same distance back from the strap for the spin. Alternatively, you could just have a screacher/windseeker made from this poly and use it in place of your spin since it would snuff just fine--but you wouldn't be able to use both (have to decide before leaving dock). OR, you could have one made using the existing spin hound but tacked to the sprit eye...LOTS of stuff you could do.

BTW, your decisions for deciding when to snuff look good. (Edit: I'd furl the jib as the first move-it isn't doing much; If spin is luffing, either head up to keep it full or release some tension on spin sheet to increase camber as first moves; if you want to sail deeper, release some halyard tension--YOU know all this, but there are some novice spinners out there). When I raced tris, I had different criteria but probably that's due to different boat. I kept spin up until mainsail sheet had no effect on boat heel--then I told spin sheet crew that his job was to keep us upright, ie, dump spin sheet if leeward ama went under. Once he dumped sheet a couple times, I gritted teeth but kept it up until the next mark (or close enough--falling off was always the best way to depower). Getaway mast is less forgiving than one with spreaders so we have to watch it.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Question for Matt Miller, exactly how different are the beams and tramp on the 2017 Getaway compared to the old model. I'm looking at soon replacing a hull and the beams so if I were to get new design hulls, beams and tramps is it possible for my rig to simply fit on the new platform? Tasmania's only Getaway sailor.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi it's been bit since I've been here . I just seen the new 2017 at the Toronto boat show and to tell you the truth other then a slight change in the hull design and change of color and the more squared top of the main sail realy not much has changed. When you look at most pics of of the inverted bow it looks like it has the same angle as fx or other models but to be honest when I saw it flat on the floor the bottom of the bow looks like it it only sticks out 1-2 inches from the top to be honest it looks like the old hull with grab handles in the rear and a minor inverted bow . Color and the new look of the sails looks nice most likely a little larger squire footage the the old model. Think I might have to keep an eye out for for new sails on ebay. The price on the new getaway was $10500 cad.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You're fortunate to have a Hobie dealer so close. Atlantic Canada's only dealer closed up last year, nearest dealer is in Quebec City.

Last edited by RobDek on Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just waiting to hear back from Hobie Australia about getaway changes, be interesting to see what differences there are.
Tasmania's only getaway sailor.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all.
Okay, so i spoke to a dealer here in australia about changes to beams,tramps etc and the possibility of just getting new hulls. Basically, its not going to work. He said by the time i got new beams,tramps and hulls the cost would be more than simply buying a new boat, so easier to sell my old boat and buy a new one. I like the look of the new hulls but the colour scheme just isnt my taste....that being said, i acknowledge the hard work by those at hobie who put hours of work into designing these boats for us giving us a tremendous product to play with, ill see how i go with the new colours i may convert yet..... Tasmania's only getaway sailor.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Is it available with the non EZ rudders, which I prefer?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:35 am 
Site Admin

Not available with the old aluminum rudder system.

Sorry I missed the question about beams and changes. Glad the dealer was able to answer. I agree that it is a risk and likely expensive way to do it.

New hulls... you could possibly use the existing beams. I think the beams would be sticking out of the outside of the hulls. The hulls are a little narrower, the old hulls got wider over the years. The molds distorted) The tramps would likely fit when the hulls were at the original beam stop plate positions. Not 100% sure on the forward one do to hull shape changes. The forward is a net (no pun intended) fit.

The rest of the rig will fit.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt, i was told part numbers for forward spreader beam and rear beam are definitely different on the new model, main beam remains the same, definitely safer to simply sell the old boat and buy a new one. Whatever way you look at it I will never be without a getaway, best boat i have ever had in over thirty years of saling. Question about the new sails though.... i was told the cut of the 2017 main is different? I cant see looking at the new pics this is the case?
One more quick question, how do i go about getting a custom made mainsail in Australia? Thanks.
Tasmania's only getaway sailor.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:41 am 
Site Admin

All of the beams are different as is the tiller crossbar. All due to the new hull being narrower.

No change is sail cut that I am aware of *.

Custom sails are an option. All sails are built here in California.

The catalog lists:

Part Description
37991099 SAIL GETAWAY MAIN "V" CUSTOM ("V" Vertical Cut / Standard sail pattern)

37991199 SAIL GETAWAY MAIN "H" CUSTOM ("H" Horizontal Cut Like a Hobie 14,16,18) Created for resorts primarily. Less expensive option / Less labor to build. * Maybe what some thought was a change.

37992099 SAIL GETAWAY JIB - CUSTOM

Colors are past years cloth. 2017 colors not yet available.

Ordered from your local dealer. Shipped through Hobie Cat Australasia. 4-6 weeks to schedule and get built here, so would take awhile to get back down under.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt
Specifically colour scheme, the seabreeze sail with the green through each batten pocket, ive seen this on the waves, is that standard or custom? Looks awesome!!
Thanks, Tasmania's only getaway sailor.