Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Getaway Spinnaker
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Anyone tried adding McNets UV protectant to the inside of their spinnaker snuffer bag? Would McNets have an adverse affect on the spinnaker sail material?

I'm in the process of prepping our gear for the Everglades Challenge sail from Fort Desoto to Key Largo and I just covered our watershed dry bags with a good coating of McNets. The bags look good as new now. That ought to prevent some of the wear and chafing from the voyage.

My thoughts are, the mcnets on the top gun material on the spinnaker bag would act like a lubricant allowing the spinnaker to be deployed and retrieved even easier.

The downside is, McNets might bleach or stain our brand new bright yellow spinnaker.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Probably won't hurt your spin. Your new spin nylon is already coated with "something" depending on the source of the nylon. The coating is usually a pvc of some sort and is either applied after weaving or prior to weaving on the thread. Some places that apply the coating after weaving may only do it on one side of the cloth (which is why on some nylons there is a slight variation in color from one side to the other). The pvc is applied to make the material less porous and better dimensionally stable. The McNett is probably just a silicone spray of some sort (like tire black dressing). Sail-kote is similar. Spray it onto something and check to see if it is slipperier.

That being said, the spin bag trumpet is probably fiberglass or carbon fiberglass. That being the case, the McNett won't actually be doing anything to the material itself as a "plastic restorative" but it could make it slipperier. If all you want is slipperier and you want cheap, use parafin wax (the little white cubes of wax that they sell to help you start your bbq or fireplace). The parafin is also useful to lube your mast ball and socket, your trailer ball and socket (but so is tire black dressing), mainsail luff rope, or anything else that has a tight clearance and needs occasional lube.

Manufacturers tend to charge more for specific products in specific industries...ie, they "see sailors coming" and charge what they can get since they think sailors have deep pockets. McNett and Sail-kote are two examples of that. Happens in other sports as well...we used to use parafin on the edges of our skis; now we use a spray can of stuff made for skiers at 50 times the cost.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't have measurements right now, everything apart and stored. The spin doesn't seem too big..it was
for a 17' Nomad.. I single hand most of the time and don't fly it if it is above 15 or so. I don't need the drama.
I kind of lash it under the jib furler and it has a bridle to the forward end then to each outboard end of front beam.
prebend down, no wobble with mast..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hobie17li wrote:
The spin doesn't seem too big..it was
for a 17' Nomad.. I single hand most of the time and don't fly it if it is above 15 or so. I don't need the drama.

The nomad is a lot like our boat in outside dimensions (8' wide, 17' long), but it is heavier by about 200 pounds and being a monohull is deeper in the water (although it does plane, especially with spin up). 180 sq feet just seemed like a lot to me. Obviously it works ok for you. When flying, where do you have the apparent wind from for optimum performance? Midships, in front a little so telltales are pointing at mainsheet, coming from aft of midships?

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Our new spin HAS ARRIVED! :)

Fresh out of the box -- the quality looks great! The reinforced tack, clew, head areas and additional panel layout (8 vs 5) throughout ought to make this puppy up for the task of standing up to the severe beating it will receive during our travels in the Everglades.

Tomorrow we will rig it up and get a full look at it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice to see the sailmaker put tensioners in the edges. Quality work.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

They do look snazzy. Although I'll have to be honest I'm not sure how these effect a spin. We

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If there is a luff tensioner; that is to prevent the luff from splitting in a gust or a "pop"; You leave it a tiny bit longer than the actual luff so as the nylon stretches, it stops when the tensioner takes over the strain. For the foot and leach tensioners, you use them like your jib foot and leach lines. For a flat spin used with wind coming from the front, sometimes there will be a point of sail where the leach or foot will "motor"...when that happens, tighten them before the next sail.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here it is. We did a little yard sailing today to test out the rigging. All looked great. This thing is definitely quality. Gotta love the crispy-ness of a new sail.

Either our forestay has stretched or we've just raked the mast back a few additional holes on the forestay adjuster. The head of the spinnaker is anout 10inches from the mast tang when fully hoisted. I noticed this with our old spin when we replaced the spin halyard.

I suppose it's not an issue as long as the luff under full tension once hoisted, since it can only be stretched out so far before there simply is too much tension.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ClamCounter wrote:
Here it is. We did a little yard sailing today to test out the rigging. All looked great. This thing is definitely quality. Gotta love the crispy-ness of a new sail.

Either our forestay has stretched or we've just raked the mast back a few additional holes on the forestay adjuster. The head of the spinnaker is anout 10inches from the mast tang when fully hoisted. I noticed this with our old spin when we replaced the spin halyard.

I suppose it's not an issue as long as the luff under full tension once hoisted, since it can only be stretched out so far before there simply is too much tension.

Are you sure you have the tack and the clew the right way round? Something doesn't look right with the clew hanging down over the side of the port hull like that

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you can do it, it'd be better if you had some of that slack at the sprit instead of all at the head. You want to be able to see under it for traffic, but you will still want to be able to tighten the halyard for reaching or loosening it for running.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I suppose manually you could pull on the out haul line to payout a few inches at the end of the spin pole, once the spin is hoisted to take out the space at the top/tang.

I'll play around with loosening the halyard dead down wind to see how it performs. I've found the spinnaker performs really well by heating it up then jibing back and forth down wind if it's blowing directly down wind. It's funny to see over a 60 mile leg as we will have zig zagged back and forth sailing more miles but are keeping up with or passing some of the monohulls that sail faster dead down wind on a straight run. Any tricks will do.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fastest way downwind in a multi hull with an asymspin is to snake wake...head up for speed, then fall off for vmg, repeat, repeat...only 5-10 degrees. Makes a big difference. Optimum apparent wind angle depends on conditions and cut of your asymspin.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dicko wrote:
Are you sure you have the tack and the clew the right way round? Something doesn't look right with the clew hanging down over the side of the port hull like that

I think Dicko has a point. Blue edging is often used on the leach of asymspins.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Picked up mine last week and sorted through the parts :) but the boat is still in winter storage :( so it's gonna be a couple months before I get into installing it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next