Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I gotta admit...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I purchased the Getaway, I worried about pointing and boat speed compared to "similar" boats out there. By similar I mean the Windrider 17, Weta or other trimarans and other Cats with centerboards.

After 2 years of sailing the Getaway, the boat balances nicely and the sail plan allows me to pinch easily (for going upwind against the current) so that my VMG is "good enough" without the complication of boards. I'm impressed (it takes a lot to impress me in a boat anymore). It's a pretty dry ride even though I hardly ever actually sit on the wing benches.

I don't compete with it, but since all my videos include GPS tracks I can easily see that the Getaway is pointing at least as well (and probably better) than the Windrider 17. Boatspeed is consistently better in the same piece of water. I have video showing me going over the top of both a windrider 17 and a weta on the same piece of water.

It's a nice day sailor for a 66 year old man or other folks who want a decent performance boat that gives thrills without much risk of capsize. If you are 30 something, though, get something a little more challenging.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

Post subject: Re: I gotta admit...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It is a great boat! I too have ran down winriders and wetas in the Getaway. Not to mention the Getaway also allows you to throw a good bit of gear on board for all types of excursions too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have to mostly agree. I sailed on a Hobie 16 this past weekend for the first time and when I was done I was glad I had a Getaway.

However, I feel like upwind performance is pretty poor, but I don't have any empirical measurements to prove or disprove this feeling.

What kind of gear are you using to track speed, heading, etc.?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a Sony Action Cam that has a built in GPS. Sony offers software with it (Play Memories) but I have switched to Dashware. Here's a video of the Getaway with a Weta on the same piece of water using the Play Memories software...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1XDdxknGR0

Here's a more recent video using the Dashware software. Note that the tack angles on this video are horrible, but that's because we're going upwind against a 2 or 3 kt current (typical for where I sail)-given the adverse current, the boat speed is pretty good ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0YwtwZ0Wo4

Since I also sail with my friends on their Windrider or Weta, I have taken video and made movies as well on their boats and over some time, I can see how well the Getaway does in comparison in similar conditions - even without us all being on the same piece of water at the same time. Getaway is much more comfortable than either boat with lots more real estate for people. The Windrider is cramped with only 2 and crowded with 3 aboard. Weta is WET and you can't sit, you have to kinda lie around. All three boats are fun, but I'm happy with my Getaway.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Having sailed all 3 quite a bit, I can tell you that the Windrider 17, as great as it is, doesn't point very well. The Getaway will easily sail much closer to weather than the Windrider. No contest.

Once the winds hit double digits, you will not out-sail a well sailed Weta on any point of sail, its short 14 foot hull notwithstanding. That's also not a contest. Look at the D-PN numbers. There's a reason the Weta's is much lower than the Getaways.

However, the Getaway will do things the other boats won't. It's faster in single digit winds, can carry more people without undermining performance to a great degree and it's at least as tough as the Windrider. Add the Spinnaker to it and it's a heck of a bargain for what it cost and how long it'll last.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree Tom, although you should not refer to D-PN numbers as they (and all rating "numbers") are pretty much WAGs (I won't even give them the S for scientific). Especially for multihull ratings. The day I sailed over the top of a Weta, I was surprised as I expected them to be the hound with me being the rabbit (having looked at the Portsmouth ratings)--turned out to be the other way, probably because of the chop/crew/skippers. I handicapped multihulls for a while, was very frustrating ...

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I sailed off the same beach as a Weta last summer and sailed circles around it... but only because the skipper had no clue what he was doing, and the crew was ballast at best. It was painful to watch. The story goes that the guy was given the boat. I should have tried to convince him to let me take it for a spin...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you do a simple sail area to weight ratio between the Weta and the Getaway you'll quickly see it's not a contest. There are two Getaways on our home lake and both the owners seem to sail very well. They cannot possibly stay with me in the Weta in any decent wind. If there was enough chop to upset the Weta's shorter length, then they might have a chance, otherwise... no way, no how.

On the other hand, I can't pile a family on the Weta and take a picnic lunch with me. Two very different types of boats.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SA/D is usually a good first approximation of speed potential in a monohull. Not so much with a multihull. I speak from experience.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Last weekend I sailed circles around a guy on a Hobie 16. What is the proper assumption? That the Weta is faster than an H16? Or that the guy on the H16 didn't sail his boat as well as I did.

I will make this offer - the first guy on a Hobie Getaway that can beat me around a course in double digits winds can have my Weta...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your Weta has a planing hull. If you can keep the boatspeed above 9 kts and the boat flat, you will do very well. In good conditions, you could see speeds near 20--my Getaway has barely gone beyond 15. I enjoy sailing the Weta despite getting fire hosed on the front aka. But in chop it slows down sufficiently for my Getaway to sail over the top (see video above)--even in 15+ kt winds that we had that day. The skipper is also my crew usually and he drives well. The boat and sails he owns was the West Coast champion in the Weta regatta here in San Francisco (he wasn't the owner then).

You should be able to beat a Hobie 16 or a Getaway in most conditions and on most points of sail. You should sail over the top of any windrider you see. My only point was there isn't any numerical approach that works well to predict speeds of multihull sailboats in all conditions. "courses for horses" and so on.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd agree with that to a large extent. Under about 12 to 14 knot winds, the Weta's D-PN of 78.5 is way off the mark, but at those wind speeds or greater, it's pretty accurate compared to the H16 at 76, The Nacra 5.0 at 77 and the H18 at 73.5. Although those boats also have Beaufort wind speed adjustments, which the Weta does not. The Weta will easily out-turn any of them and with all 3 sails flying on a broad run will indeed do 20+ knots. I hold the record (as official as such a thing can be) for the Weta at 23.8MPH/20.68 knots.

My point was that just because you sailed over or past another boat doesn't mean your boat is faster than the other guy's... Maybe you sail better than him or he sails better than you. The boat is only half the equation.

I apologize for getting a bit ruffed when folks start talking about how their boat ran past somebody else's. Every boat has a sweet spot and every boat has it's own niche. My Hobie TriFoiler will outrun any of them, but it's the least practical boat I own. Conversely, the Hobie TI is just about the best all-around water craft ever put on the water. It just irks me a bit when people talk about boat speed or which is the better boat. It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Apple to apple comparisons are hard to make when the boats are so different.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great discussion: I just purchased a 2016 Getaway (rental boat) have not taken delivery yet.
I'm selling my 1990 Hobie 17 and replacing with the getaway. the 17 may be a "rocket" but it is really a 1 person boat that can carry 2 (I had 3 on it once and it was severely "depressed" (sterns submerged)) . I also have a new 2015 WETA
It is great if you want to get soaked. I would not use it in more than 2' seas, and certainly not for riding through surf.
I also have a 1991 aquacat 12.5 and a Vagabond 14 (later became Hobie one) Also have an RL24 for sale. [should never have bought it] At 1700# it is light for a cabin boat but rarely planes.

anyway, I was interested in the Weta - Getaway comparison. They are for very different purposes. I kept the Vagabond 14 because for "frostbite" sailing one doesn't want to get wet. for >60F weather, I thought the Getaway would be better for passengers and relatively dry. The Weta sprays above 9 kts as mentioned. My problem with the Hobie 17 is not capsizing but pitch-poling. It can get too fast for its own good and a little skipper error and over she goes. At 66 I'm too old for that now + I occasionally like to give rides to the grand kids. I mostly sail lakes but would plan to take the getaway to the NC beach as I have the Aquacat for many years. No way would I subject the Weta to surf pounding.
If one doesn't mind getting wet, the Weta is a blast to sail. Only once did I come against a windrider 17 and as Tom Kirkman said You never now whether it is boat, or skipper, or wind peculiarities (especially on a lake). Up wind in a 10kt breeze I just kept pulling away from the windrider. downwind with the genaker out, there was no comparison The windrider was way behind. I've been looking at getaways for long time and finally decided at this point in life it is time to replace the Hobie 17 with the more sedate and friendly getaway. Final comment took the hobie 17 to the beach once. Big mistake. The centerboard trunks get clogged with sand and the boards won't go down. It doesn't point too well with no boards! had to pressure wash to clean them out! when I'm done (with boat sales) my fleet will be Weta, Getaway, and Vagabond
(old aquacat being donated to my daughter)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Rway! I had a couple of Hobie 17s; first one I got when my kids were 2, 5, 7 and 12. What was I thinking? I wasn't, the local dealer told me it was a good compromise between the H-16 (which I thought was too small for the family) and the H-18 (which I didn't think I'd be able to right by myself). That dealer is no longer is business, he just lied to me to clear out his stock.
But the H-17 is a fun boat! The handling is so crisp and responsive; I find my Getaway to feel sluggish by comparison. If I had room for another boat, I'd love to get another 17.
The Getaway is so versatile though! I've soloed it in 20 knot winds and had a great time (albeit white knuckled!). My grandkids love it, and I've had a great time with 6 adults comfortably on board. My wife missed the wide wings on the 17, she'd lie on them and sun herself. Now she uses the forward net. Nobody misses having to roll under the 17's boom, though!
I think you'll really love your Getaway.

Too many canoes and kayaks