Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Would a 30lb thrust trolling motor get me back to shore. I sail around Dunedin fl never more than 1-2 miles off shore in 10-20 mpg winds. Would use it for backup, so rarely. Should i get a gas powered motor instead?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If there is wind, why do you need a backup?

What is the current speed. Depending on sea state and windage, I think 30 pounds thrust will move you about 2 kts at a conservative battery setting. Those 30 pound figures are maximums which drains battery quickly.

Someone has already mounted a trolling motor on his Getaway, he can probably give better answer.

I have gas, but I do need it every time out to get into and out of marina and in case the wind dies in the Winter. I know spending a thousand on a backup is painful, but if you need it you need it. All that extra weight is an irritant as well.

One of those Suzuki propane motors might be ideal in a backup situation. No worries about water in the tank. I had a Torqueedo briefly...hated it, was noisy and unreliable for maneuvering in the marina (motor quit every time you switched from forward to reverse quickly).

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We leave out of the Clearwater pass and cirlce inside the HoneyMoon Island Pass to head south along the ICW by Dunedin quite often. We had a honda 2hp but we really enjoy the hastle-free, no maintenance, always starting Torqueedo. It can be helpful when entering the passes and there's an opposing wind and tide. Instead of spending a while tacking through the narrow inlet there's the option to motor through. Here's a shot of our torqueedo setup.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a 2.5 Suzuki on my Getaway and love it. It's great for situations where there is no wind or the wind isn't working in your favor. I can't believe how nice it is to be able to motor out of a tight spot between docks or motor sail in light wind to get somewhere faster.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Clamcounter - wondering what the black framing is for on the stern surrounding your motor?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

KeithB

The framing's probably one of the best mods I've added to the Getaway. I got the idea from watching the AC72's with their "media towers" mounted in the center aft. So basically, the framing is my pvc version of a media tower. It is thee dryest spot on the boat, even during capsize. It stores my blue tooth speaker, solar panel charger, snacks, water bottles, cell phones and sometimes..... A cigar humidor, on long trips :). All of this gets lashed down with a carbinger just in case there is a capsize. Soo yeah, the framing is a media tower made out of schedule 40 1.25" pvc on the base, 1" on the rest. All held together with pvc glue and reinforced with black gorilla tape. The structure is very rigid and has now made it through three 300 mile trips to the Florida Keys.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice setup clamcounter. Will the Torqueedo battery fit into the hull cooler?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Wanderoo! I haven't tried to fit the Torqueedo battery in the cooler storage. You probably already know, the battery for the torqueedo is actually the top section of the motor in the picture above. When I eyeball the photo I'm thinking it may be a few inches too long for the container.

Hope that is somewhat helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

@Clamcounter which model of the Torqueedo did you go with for your Getaway? 1103C or 603S?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On topic….I just bought a Getaway and it had a brand new Cheata motor mount that I removed and would be happy to sell if anyone is interested…..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I know this has been talked about a lot, gas motors, trolling motors, torqueedo type.

Has anyone seen this 110 lb thrust $500 motor?
https://www.amazon.com/PARKHO-HASWING-E ... c63b24bcb5

I have been using a 55 lb thrust Newport Vessels trolling motor and when it isn't that windy, this has worked really well. I especially use it when I go into salt water like cape cod bay, and need to get out of a busy harbor right into the wind. I don't know what the limit is, it has helped me up to maybe 8 - 10 mph wind days going directly into the wind. Somewhere around there it loses its superpowers and I'm reluctant to try to get out of the marina on those days.

PARKHO-HASWING calls the 110 lb thrust a 3hp equivalent. If it truely is, that would work for sure, I have experience with a 3.5 hp mercury, and that would work no matter what.
Problem is I'm not sure it really is equivalent. I have see the explanation Torqueedo gives for how they justify their HP rating. I don't know it this brand has put as much effort into optimizing propellers, etc. though.

I found a positive review for similar models by same company here https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/gear/el ... ions-81853

Any thoughts? It seems like a decent price jump from here to the all in ones. I have one AGM battery in one cooler now, if I went to this I'd add one to the other cooler as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Someone here on the forum has mounted something similar on the front. Would need to do a search.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I haven't spotted anything yet on a trolling motor with this much thrust, 120 lbs.
Pretty sure that would be enough power for going against a lot of wind.
I did see hobie kayakers using small trolling motors by this same company.
I am interested in hearing any feedback on PARKHO-HASWING's motors in general too.