Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hobie17li wrote:
do you have details on mainsail reefing system? head of sail in plastic track of comp tip
when reefed or did you replace plastic sail track with aluminum? Downhaul? do you use
catch at top of mast? thanks doug

Mainsail reefed by adding reinforcement and grommets at the batten adjacent to the "I" in Hobie; then tying up the middle to get it out of the way. Head of sail is still in the plastic track of comp tip at about the same level as the hound. Still use whatever downhaul you normally use but it is in the front grommet and mainsheet at the back grommet. It is best to put the rear grommet a little forward of the "I" so the mainsheet is still pulling down and back since there's no boom or outhaul. It is preferred to use the catch at the top by adding an extension to the halyard, but it might be hard to do if reefing while in big wind and waves...Clamcounter and I use the same reefing method.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Aero_70 wrote:
I was down the beach from you at the start. I was next to SOS and the other Hobie 16 that launched.
I was in my TI. My shore support and car was already dropped off at Chkpt 1 since I was just doing the first leg.
When I heard the FREEDOMMMMMM!!!!!!!! cry I really expected to see more boats drag into the water and was so tempted to follow you.
We all watched your mast carefully as you hit the shipping channel. I'm glad that you guys had a good crossing and were able to make the best of the situation.
Paul Links
Aero70

Aero70 - :) Mother nature made us all learn a lot again this year. We made the best of it we could. We knew we'd better make it across TB without any mishaps. With the jib furled and main reefed, the Getaway is slow yet very stable plarform, so we waited until we made it over to Anna Maria, then shook out the reefs, openened the jib and had a speedy sail down the coast.

Looking forward to seeing you on the beach in 2018, Paul.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hobie17li wrote:
do you have details on mainsail reefing system? head of sail in plastic track of comp tip
when reefed or did you replace plastic sail track with aluminum? Downhaul? do you use
catch at top of mast? thanks doug

We took our main to sail maker to have reinforced grommets added to our sail. We didn't make any changes to our sail track so it has worked ok in the plastic track.

Here are two photos of the reefing setup. One shows the positioning of the grommets and the other shows how high up the sail is postioned when reefed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for pictures and replies..doug